commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Chaplain 4th Class The Rev. Gareth Bernard Banting - No.2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Having seen an article on the web purporting to show the circumstances in which Rev Banting died, I thought I would quote this from the No.2 Commando War Diary dated 10th October 1944 at Sarande: " Revd. Banting takes party from 3 Tp. to bury Capt. Parsons, Lieut. Coyle, Gnr. Clarke, and Pte. Lyons. After burial he moved fwd. to bury German dead in the same posn., but is blown up on a mine. Stretcher party finds he has died of wounds - carried back to Sarande by M.O. before nightfall. Stretcher party moving down hillside encounter mines - 3 men badly wounded. Parties brought down to Sarande in pouring rain."

Rev Banting was buried the next day at 3pm

There is an entry on the No.2 Commando history of the CVA -The men - Rev Banting :
http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/no-2-commando-the-men

In Memory of Chaplain 4th Class The Rev. GARETH BERNARD BANTING
159706, Royal Army Chaplains' Department
attd. No.2, Commando, who died age 32 on 10 October 1944
Remembered with honour at Tirana Park Memorial Cemetery

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/04/2009 16:20:41

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Janet Bishop has forwarded to me this picture of Padre Banting kindly supplied by his nephew Gareth. Here is a link to the picture I have posted in the Gallery.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Padre+Gareth+Banting+-+No_2+Commando.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger