commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine Gerald Nestor Ply.X 112776 search  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Scotty
Forum Member

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me.

My late grandfather served in the Royal Marines in WW2.

Marine Gerald Nestor, Ply.X 112776

He was mentioned in despatches but I do not know what for or what unit he served with.

I have attached an extract from the London Gazette but this is all I have and I would like to know more about his service.

Can any of you assist, I have been on Ancestry.com but had no luck.

Thanks in advance
[Thumb - Screenshot_20230831_193740_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg]
 Filename Screenshot_20230831_193740_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description London Gazette
 Filesize 929 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  94 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Scotty, Is this your grandfather?
[Thumb - Widnes_Weekly_News_and_Distric_10_May_1946_0001_Clip.jpg]
 Filename Widnes_Weekly_News_and_Distric_10_May_1946_0001_Clip.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 791 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  89 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Scotty
Forum Member

Pete,

It has got to be as the home town is correct.

That is great thank you. I just need to see if I can find his unit now, higher up in the London Gazette it mentions HM Indefatigable. I will try and see if this was his ship and what unit was on it.

Thanks again

Scotty
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Scotty I have attached a slightly better copy here. The London Gazette does show where he was serving. For bravery, resource and devotion to duty under dangerous conditions during operations in the Adriatic. H.M. Indefatigable only refers to the officer immediately below. They then move on to the Adriatic.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36979/supplement/1386

Not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2 but of those who were Nos. 40 and 43RM Commandos were operating in the Adriatic as part of the 2nd Special Service (Commando) Brigade. Do you have any photos of your grandfather in uniform at all ?
[Thumb - Nestor_Widnes_Weekly_News_10May1946.PNG]
 Filename Nestor_Widnes_Weekly_News_10May1946.PNG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 290 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  100 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Scotty
Forum Member

Pete,

Thank you for the link to the better quality image.

I am afraid that he was in service prior to marrying my Grandmother and as this was his second marriage all reference to his service was kept by his previous wife.

I have no pictures of him in uniform, all I knew when he was alive was his absolute fear of drowning and that it was apparently linked to his mention in dispatches. Other than that I am afraid he or my Grandmother never spoke of his service.

I understand what you are said in regards to the ship and possible units.

Thanks again Pete

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger