commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for descendants of Commandos who fought in Burma  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
LucyMB
Forum Member

Hi all,

Many moons ago I posted here looking to connect with descendants of the men who fought at Kangaw in 1945. I am fortunate to say I am now working full time as a military historian and one of my projects (which for too long has been on the back burner) is writing a book which looks in depth at the actions of 3 Cdo Bde in the Arakan region of Burma in 1944/45. The book will focus in particular on 42RM and 44RM (my Grandfather being the late Ted Syms of 44Cdo) and I am keen to include as many personal stories and testimony as possible.

I am unsure if there are any surviving veterans of 42/44 from that period. The last I knew was Ron Wilson (44Cdo) who sadly passed away in 2021 - if anyone knows differently please do let me know,

It is my aim for this book to be the definitive story of the Commando's in the Far East, and I feel strongly that it is necessary to try to reach as many descendants as possible to collate stories/recollections. I have been fortunate enough to speak to many relatives already and have a reasonable list of several more folks to contact, but would be grateful for anyone with further info to contact me.

All the best,
Lucy

https://lucybetteridgedyson.com

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Lucy,

I, and a good many other people, am extremely pleased that, at long last, a book is going to be written about The Commandos in Burma.
My only concern is that you say the book will focus on 42 RM Cdo and 44 RM Cdo and yet your aim is for your book to be the definitive story of the Commando's in the Far East...

I'm sure you're aware that 3 Special Service (later Commando) Brigade was made up of No.1 Cdo, No.5 Cdo, 42 RM Cdo & 44 RM Cdo. No.1 Cdo & 42 RM Cdo were paired up, as were No.5 Cdo & 44 RM Cdo but these pairs fought in quite different areas and did not come together, to work/fight as a Brigade, until January 45 at Hill 170.

But to just concentrate on the RM Cdo element of the Brigade and not include the Army Cdo element means that your book could not be a definitive story of the Commandos in the Far East.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
LucyMB
Forum Member

Hi Nick

Thanks for your response.. at least I think - as I must say it really wasn?t the response I was hoping to see and comes across very patronising.

To clarify - 1 & 5 Cdo will of course be included - I don?t think I said anywhere that they wouldn?t be. However, due to my family history and the material I have, the narrative will focus more on 44 and 42.

It?s a shame you have chosen to focus rather heavily (and negatively I might say) on one word in my post which was written rather casually (this being an internet forum and not a proposal to my publisher etc), rather than anything else but, there we go.

If you would like any further information on the project or can help with my request, then please feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to discuss further.

Lucy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Lucy

As the Content Manager of this Archive I would certainly welcome updates on how your project goes and will point any relatives from 3 Cdo Bde who make contact with this Archive in your direction in the future. I recall you sharing some photos with us a few years ago including a booklet about a veterans return to Burma in 2005 led by your grandfather which I will just add a link to here for the benefit of others interested https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Gatherings+pre+CVA/The++3+Cdo+Bde+Pilgrimage+in+2005.pdf.html

Good luck with the book.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

LucyMB wrote:Hi Nick

Thanks for your response.. at least I think - as I must say it really wasn?t the response I was hoping to see and comes across very patronising.

To clarify - 1 & 5 Cdo will of course be included - I don?t think I said anywhere that they wouldn?t be. However, due to my family history and the material I have, the narrative will focus more on 44 and 42.

It?s a shame you have chosen to focus rather heavily (and negatively I might say) on one word in my post which was written rather casually (this being an internet forum and not a proposal to my publisher etc), rather than anything else but, there we go.

If you would like any further information on the project or can help with my request, then please feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to discuss further.

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for your prompt response and I'm sorry you felt my message was both patronising and negative - it certainly was not my intention to be either.

However, your message, and especially the word 'definitive', did start alarm bells ringing with a number of relatives of Army Commandos - who have been contacted me and who were already concerned that
a. The War in the Far East, already oft' forgotten, may be misrepresented by a book that may not tell the full story of 3 Cdo Brigade.
b. The Army Commandos are often overlooked, as they were only in existence from 1940 - 1946, and it is a very common misconception, therefore, that the only Commandos were RM Cdos.

As I said in my first line, I welcome any book that will tell the story of The Commandos in India/Burma...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Hello Lucy
I hope you do not mind me plugging my book - The Commando Compendium published as Special Publication 54 by the Royal Marines Historical Society - it draws on all available War Diaries including 3 Special Service / Commando Brigade and its component units - of course Kangaw is mentioned and there are several Maps - at £25 a good buy - but of course I would say that https://royalmarinesshop.com/collections/books/products/the-commando-compendium-by-michael-john-beckett

Hoping this is helpful
Mike
BillP
Forum Member

Hi Lucy
Wishing you all the best with your project. Just want to put a word in for 3 Troop Royal Marine Engineer Commando.
Regards
Bill

Proud son of Sgt Alexander Pirie MM Royal Marines 1935 to 1947
mike beckett
Forum Member

They feature in my book Bill - often overlooked, but should never be forgotten

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger