commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Chaplain George John Charles HEPWORTH - Dieppe Raid?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Wignorian
Forum Member

I wonder if anyone has come across this Padre who I think was attached to the 1st Special Service Brigade and took part in the Dieppe Raid? I've not found a mention of him on this site, but a newspaper article printed in Australia seems to provide some compelling evidence. From the below account I wonder whether he deployed to Dieppe with 3 Commando.

The following letter from his wife to her parents in Mackay, Queensland published in the Mackay Daily Mercury 31/10/1942 reveals:

"We have our daddy home with us again for a short time and we thank God that he is here with us, because he was in the raid on Dieppe last Wednesday and had a very bad time. He received a very nasty wound under the right shoulder blade and his poor hands and arms were burnt black. He looks very thin and tired, but is cheerful and happy to feel he took part In the raid In Dieppe, and is looking forward to doing his bit again whenever he is wanted.

"He was with the Special Service troops who had such a bad time and went through absolute hell. He spent two hours in the water without a life belt, having given his to one of his men who was more badly wounded. All the time, of course, they were being fired on and shelled.

"His boat was blown up as they were nearing the shore and they swam about a quarter of a mile to make the first attack on the beach. The two hours spent in the water was in the final stages. John tells me the men were magnificent and the Huns have had a good foretaste of what they will get the next time with interest, when our men go over to stay.

"He was only allowed to come home on his leave because there is a military dressing station here where he has his wounds dressed each day."

If anyone has come across mention of this Padre, I would be really interested to hear from them.
[Thumb - 1942-10-31 p4 Mackay Daily Mercury.jpg]
 Filename 1942-10-31 p4 Mackay Daily Mercury.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 575 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  205 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/03/2023 12:58:58

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

London Gazette entries for him. Other than the newspaper article I have yet to find any specific commando reference to him.

[Thumb - Hepworth_RACD_LG37698_1946.PNG]
 Filename Hepworth_RACD_LG37698_1946.PNG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  192 time(s)

[Thumb - Hepworth_RACD_LG41311_1958.jpg]
 Filename Hepworth_RACD_LG41311_1958.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  176 time(s)

[Thumb - Hepworth_RACD_LG34830_1940.jpg]
 Filename Hepworth_RACD_LG34830_1940.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  183 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

David Blake, curator of the Royal Army Chaplains' Museum, confirmed the archive held a trcaer card relating to Reverend Captain Hepworth :

A card does exist for G J C Hepworth, however; there is no indication on the card of Hepworth being attached to either a Commando or Combined ops or Special Service Brigade. In July 1942, Hepworth was attached to the 43rd Wessex Division.[/i]

Reverend Hepworth may have been seconded from the 43rd Wessex Division to a Canadian Army unit for the duration of the Operation?

Good luck with your research
Wignorian
Forum Member

Thanks Guy, I've been in touch with David and seen a copy of the tracer card. Hepworth was chaplain to 5th Wiltshire (43rd Wessex Div), who were in the area at the time. As you suggest, I wonder if he may have been temporarily seconded. I did come across a reference to an RC chaplain who couldn't go over with the Dieppe raiders because he was held up at a conference, maybe Rev Hepworth made up the number?

A mystery...!

GUY wrote:David Blake, curator of the Royal Army Chaplains' Museum, confirmed the archive held a trcaer card relating to Reverend Captain Hepworth :

A card does exist for G J C Hepworth, however; there is no indication on the card of Hepworth being attached to either a Commando or Combined ops or Special Service Brigade. In July 1942, Hepworth was attached to the 43rd Wessex Division.[/i]

Reverend Hepworth may have been seconded from the 43rd Wessex Division to a Canadian Army unit for the duration of the Operation?

Good luck with your research

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/06/2023 23:10:33

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger