commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RN Beach Commandos Based at Hythe, Hampshire prior to Operation Neptune  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Martin Halliday
Forum Member

I am conducting research into the RN Beach Commandos that were based in Hythe (Southampton Waterside village), Hampshire prior to embarkation for Operation Neptune (D Day) - a memorial is displayed in the village. Veterans of the RN Commandos attended an annual ceremony at this memorial until disbanded in 2003 when the Veterans Association presented residents with a 'thank you' plaque which remains on display in the village hall. From my research to-date, I believe that P RNBC marched to Hythe from HMS Mostodon (the Rothschild Estate in Exbury, Hampshire) prior to embarkation where they became part of the Force J assault on Juno (Mike sector) with Canadian forces. There is some question as to whether other RNBC units also embarked from Hythe. Does anybody have any information that may help my research please. I am keen to know identify which units of RNBC were based in Hythe, when they arrived and where exactly in Hythe they were billeted.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Regards, Martin

Martin
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Martin

Have you tried this website which has a tremendous amount of information and is managed by the son of a RN Beach Commando. They also have a Facebook History Group.

http://www.relaysystem.co.uk/id3.html

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Martin Halliday
Forum Member

Thanks very much Peter. Yes I had seen that, but hadn't picked up that there was a FB group dedicated to the RN Commandos. I have now joined that group and have written a post. Thanks again. Martin

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger