commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Roast-Impact Royal-9 Commando.  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
[email protected]
Forum Member

HI,
Are there any sons or daughters out there, whose dad fought in Italy WW2- 1944-45.
In particular Operation Roast or Impact Royal. Lake Commachio.
My dad was out there then, wounded 2/4/45. 9 commando 6 troop. Have quite a bit of valuable information from the CVA and books etc, but nothing sort of from soldiers/stories who were there.
Am planning a trip Commachio in May.
Cheers Shaun.
PS, thanks for all the help so far Pete/ Nick/Doug.
Doug
Forum Member

Hi Shaun,

Very little to see at Lake Commachio. The areas of interest no longer exist. There is a museum in Alfosine, a short distance from Ravenna, that is worth visiting. Museo della Battaglia del Senio at the Piazza della Resistenza. I believe the Italians refer to the Argenta Gap as the Battaglia del Senio.

Have you read the book Special Ops Heroes by Michael Ashcroft, there is a chapter written by Leslie Callf, the officer in charge of 5 troop, 9 commando; there is mention of Impact Royal.

My dad was recommended for a medal for swimming the Reno river, several times, under fire to retrieve boats from the far side in order to evacuate the wounded, April 13, 1945

regards Doug
[email protected]
Forum Member

HI Doug,. thank you for this will check out. And the book. Amazing what your dad did. kind regards Shaun.

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger