commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Jack Bailey  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jason keeley
Forum Member

Trying to find my Grandfather's Royal Marine records from WW2
We do not have his service number and no info as my mother said he never spoke of the war so all we have is an old photo of him in uniform
[Thumb - 180631DB-8D69-4235-8240-6B5D471194F3.jpeg]
 Filename 180631DB-8D69-4235-8240-6B5D471194F3.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description Jack Bailey ww2 Royal Marine
 Filesize 31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  167 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jason

Unlike today not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2. We do not have access to official service records. RM Service Records can be applied for without a service number but for obvious reasons additional detail should be provided in order to find the right 'Jack Bailey'. Difficulties come in to play with names like Jack as often it was used instead of John. Does anyone know when and where he died? If so you could apply for a copy of his death certificate.

You can find more about the Service Record application process here:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/02/2023 19:41:56

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jeff Hewitt
Forum Member

Hi Jason,
46 Royal Marine Commando had 3 men named Bailey in their unit.
Marine A.A. Bailey CH/X104446 taken POW 11/06/44
Cpl J. Bailey PO/X103464 KIA 19/06/44
Capt J.F. Bailey returned safely home from the war.

Jeff Hewitt
[Email]
Jason keeley
Forum Member

Hi thanks for the info, I know my grandfather returned home safe from the war, his full name was Jack Desmond Bailey, just a shame I have no photo of him side on where I suspect his RM badge and unit emblem would have been, speaking to my mother I am going to send off for a duplicate death certificate and follow the link Pete sent
Once again cheers for the input

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/02/2023 22:42:24

Jeff Hewitt
Forum Member

My pleasure Jason
Double check with your family that there are no old photo albums or boxes in the attic that may contain photos or papers.
If he did become a Commando he would have his unit number on his shoulder patch. It would be a number from 40 to 48 Royal Marine Commando and he will be wearing a Green beret.
If he didn?t become a Commando then as a Royal Marine he could have done a number of support roles.
Many of the men become crew of landing craft and were actively involved in the DDay beach landings.
If you do find anything else then please share it with us and we?ll do all we can to help you uncover his war journey.
Regards
Jeff

Jeff Hewitt
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger