commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine Albert Blackham PLYX110193  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Matt_3545
Forum Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a bit of digging into the service history of my grandad. Although I've got his service record, it doesn't specify which Commando unit he was with once he had re-trained as a Commando, or give much detail about his pre-Commando service life. Any help would be really appreciated.

This is what I've found out so far (feel free to correct me):

? Plymouth Division. 9 Company 11 Apr 40 ? 26 Apr 40
Royal Marine training depot?

? HBL Operation Maurice[?] 27 Apr 40 ? 30 June 41
Home Base Ledger Operation Maurice.
Operation in Norway. Possibly part of Fortress Unit I or II which later became MNBDO II.

? Pyra[illegible] 1 July 41 ? 20 Aug 41
Cannot read handwriting.

? Ras[illegible] 21 Aug 41 ? 27 Oct 42
Cannot read handwriting.

? HBL 2nd RM [Group?] MNBDO 26 Oct 42 ? 14 March 44
Home Base Ledger 2nd Royal Marines [Group?] Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation.
Possibly an anti-aircraft gunner based in Ceylon, Sri Lanka as part of 2nd R.M. A.A. Regiment

? HBL RMTG 15 Mar 44 ? 27 May 44
Home Base Ledger Royal Marine Training Group.
Brigade HQ was disbanded on 17 May 44 with personnel being re-mustered as commandos, landing craft operators and other duties. These 6 weeks are where he would have done his commando training.

? HBL RM CDOS 28 May 44 ? 4 Sep 45
Home Base Ledger Royal Marine Commandos.
Possibly No. 6 Commando, 1st Special Service Brigade (later 1st Commando Brigade).

? Wounded in Action 29 Apr 1945 crossing the River Elbe (Operation Enterprise?).
This is what I was told my my mother and grandmother. Have supporting information regarding his wounds but not where they were sustained etc.

[Thumb - Albert Blackham Record of Service.jpg]
 Filename Albert Blackham Record of Service.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 147 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  121 time(s)

[Thumb - Albert Blackham 2.jpg]
 Filename Albert Blackham 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  105 time(s)

[Thumb - Albert Blackham Wounds Received.jpg]
 Filename Albert Blackham Wounds Received.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  109 time(s)

craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

48 Royal Marines Commando formed up around March 1944 from units of MNBDO, I would look at the history of 48 as a starting point. Part of 4th Special Service Brigade, later to become a commando brigade. The Royal Marine training group could be at Towyn, where a pre commando beat up or preparation course was run prior to Achnacarry CBTC.

Post all the info you have someone will be able to assist you.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Matt

Your Grandad served in 46RM Commando and was wounded at the Elbe Crossing (see attached page from the book published in 1946 outlining their history). He is also listed in our nominal roll for 46RM Commando as a result.

Nominal Roll: https://www.commandoveterans.org/46CommandoNomRollAtoD

History: https://www.commandoveterans.org/46RMCommando

Thank you for the photo. Can you advise me of his dates and places of birth and death (if applicable).

Pete
[Thumb - Blackham_46RM_Commando.jpg]
 Filename Blackham_46RM_Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 214 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  122 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/12/2022 14:36:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Can you double check the service number on the record. You have shown PLY/X 110193; the book shows PLY/X 110173 ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Matt_3545
Forum Member

Pete,

This will be a great help in tracing more of his history. I've attached a picture of his Certificate of Service which makes his number out as PLYX110193.

I don't suppose you could give any indication as to what entries 3 and 4 might be on his service record (Pyr... and Ras...)?

Matt
[Thumb - IMG-20221218-WA0010(1).jpg]
 Filename IMG-20221218-WA0010(1).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 205 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  112 time(s)

craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pyramus was in The Orkney islands
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

And Proserpine was also in that area ....check out this page

https://www.facebook.com/explorationorkney/posts/this-is-hms-proserpine-also-known-as-lyness-naval-base-the-facility-was-establis/2336538493300782/

[Email]
Matt_3545
Forum Member

Thank you all very much. That'll give me loads to look in to Really appreciate the help!

Matt
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Matt

I have added the photo to our main archive and our 46RM Commando Gallery (currently on page 1 in surname order). You can view them below:

Archive: https://www.commandoveterans.org/Albert_Blackham_46RMCommando

Gallery: https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/

If you provide your surname I can add that to the credit. Also do you know the date your grandfather died ?

[Email]
Jeff Hewitt
Forum Member

Matt,
I am the lead contact for the 46 Royal Marine Commando Family and Friends Group.
My father was Sgt Harry Hewitt S Troop.
Together with Keith Taylor whose father Eric served alongside my father we have co written two books that chronicle the complete war journey of 46 RMC.
Please either email me at [email protected] or call me on my landline 01869 356082 and I?ll share all I can with you.
Regards
Jeff

Jeff Hewitt
[Email]
Matt_3545
Forum Member

Apologies for this ridiculously delayed response. Life and work just got in the way for a while.

Pete - Thank you for adding my grandfather to the photo archive. He died on 07 Dec 1975 and my surname is Bourne.

Jeff - Do you have a link that you could send so that I can have a look at getting a copy of those books?

You've both been a great help.

Matt

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Matt, you can contact Jeff direct regarding the books. His email is on the post above.

[Email]
Jeff Hewitt
Forum Member

Hi Matt,
As Pete confirms my email is as above.
Best wishes
Jeff

Jeff Hewitt
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger