commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2nd Lt Stanley Charles Duckham 47 and 40 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Post-war Commando Operations
Jim Duckham
Forum Member

I note from your website, that my father, above,was listed as being in the RM Holding Commando in Apr 1945. He says he served with 47 and 40 RM Cdo. I know he wasn't involved in wartime operations having broken his collarbone twice while at Achnacarry. After VE Day he went to Germany invoved in clean-up operations - as he described it. He never spoke much about it and he died aged 98 on 2 Dec this year. I'd like to know exactly what and where 40 and 47 RM Cdo were doing during this period and his leaving the RM in 1946.He served in 47 and 40 RM Cdo but I don't know which was his first unit and whether he transferred units after commissioning. He subsequently served in 202 Glam and Mon Field Regiment RA leaving in Apr 1967 as a major and awarded the TD. Any information would be most gratefully received.
From a proud son.

I've done a little more digging and it appears his first unit was 47 RM Cdo and presumeably after the Holding Commando was posted to 40 RM Cdo. I see there was an amalgamation of units in the autumn of '45 before disbandment in '46

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/12/2022 09:48:19

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jim

From London Gazettes it appears your father was commissioned Temporary Second Lieutenant in September 1944.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36734/page/4593

Was he commissioned on entry to the Royal Marines or had he served in the ranks ? Where did you find the additional detail you mention about his first unit being 47RM Commando?

Did your father retain his RM Service Certificate (or any official document of service) which includes a victualling record ? If not you can apply for a copy.

https://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

If you have a good photo of your father you can attach it to any reply you post in this message thread.

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/12/2022 14:47:38

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jim Duckham
Forum Member

Hello Pete

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I found a reference to Marine S C Duckham on the 47 RM Cdo website below, but he is listed as not known in which troop he served.

https://www.47commando.org.uk/

I'm pretty sure he would have joined as a Marine, but I guess was picked-up fairly quickly for commissioning.

I've attached a photo - I'll send 2 more as it won't take the size of attachments.

I'll keep digging and let you know what I find. I might be able to find his record of service - else I'll apply for it. I am going to rest his RA cap on the coffin as well as his RM beret if i can find it.

Many thanks again

Jim
[Thumb - Scan100008 (8).JPG]
 Filename Scan100008 (8).JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Marine Stanley Duckham
 Filesize 47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  168 time(s)

Jim Duckham
Forum Member

Temp 2nd Lt Stan Duckham
[Thumb - Scan100008 (9).JPG]
 Filename Scan100008 (9).JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Temp 2nd Lt Stan Duckham
 Filesize 45 Kbytes

Jim Duckham
Forum Member

I've just found what appears to be a commemoration of one year since Operation Infatuate, Wacheren Day. Dad's name is on this and appears to show he joined the unit between Apr and Nov 1945.
[Thumb - Scan100008 (3).JPG]
 Filename Scan100008 (3).JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Walcheren Day
 Filesize 894 Kbytes

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jim

Thank you for the photos. I have created an initial page for your Father in our A-Z of Personnel and shown his commando unit as listed in the Navy Lists Quarterly for January, April, and July 1945, that being the Holding Commando. I will make any necessary additions or amendments when you find documents with specifics of service in other units but for the time being here is the entry: https://www.commandoveterans.org/StanleyDuckham_RMCommando

Please accept my personal condolences for your loss. I have added your Father's name to our Obituaries section.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Post-war Commando Operations
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger