commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Chess  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Ben_3469
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi guys!

Has anyone got any information on Operation Chess other than what Wikipedia can produce? I know the date and location but not the objective?

Thank everyone!
Ben

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/11/2022 17:53:13

Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It was a recon and also to get a prisoner if possible. Initially postponed from the previous night due to weather conditions, two ALC's were towed by ML 104. Pinkney and ten were to land whilst the rest of the party remained as a beach party on one of the ALC's the other remained offshore as a spare. They were spotted before they actually landed but continued. They headed across the beach before climbing a mud cliff where they found wire on top as they investigated a star shell was fired and the ALC was fired upon, Pinkney withdrew his men and silenced one machine gun with a grenade but there was still under flanking fire from two other machine guns, MG 34's. The engine of the ALC was damaged but they were still able to re-embark and return to Dover. There were two fatalities Congreve who received a bullet wound to his back and also a Royal Naval stoker. All in all, it was not a success, no recon as such or prisoner taken.
Ben_3469
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Alan!

Please can you share your source? I couldn't find anything about it so it must be a good link to have!

Thanks Ben
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Charles Messenger - Commandos. Page 56 -58.
Ben_3469
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks, that's been added to my amazon wishlist!
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Look at Abebooks too.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger