commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
11.8.45 1 Troop 5 Commando - Victory Day  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
veegeebee
Forum Member

I found a letter from my Grandpa Sidney William Klus to his sister Elsie.

Klus. S
1 Troop
5 Commando
SEAC

VJ

Elsie Darling,

You'll have to excuse my writing but I just can't quite write quick enough. If you've ever thought of your (tough)? kid brother crying, well if I never do it again I'm really doing it now.
It's pouring with rain but the boys are all singing & dancing outside, the old flares all going up & everybody's going mad. We've just got the news the Japs have packed up and they have just sent the victory signal up. The signal they always send up when a battle's been won. Honest sis I don't know what I'm writing here, I'm going too fast for my thoughts to catch up. Why worry I'll tell you all about it when we have that drink.
Won't be long now.
It's gone all quiet now sis, I guess all the boys are either beginning to write letters or trying to get themselves to believe it's really all over.
When you get home kiss mum for me & tell her I love her, that goes for you Pop Dolly all the family. Gosh what a lucky guy I am all in one piece, & it won't be long before I see the greatest family in the world.
Love you all, Sid

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/11/2022 19:07:05

Grandaughter of Commando No. 5 Troop 1 L/Cpl Sidney Klus
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Vicki

That's a lovely letter that encompasses what all soldiers, sailors, airmen, their families, friends, and loved ones must have been thinking. If you wish please do the following. Take a high resolution photo of the actual letter and email it to me via the email link below I will then add it to the page we have for your Grandpa.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/11/2022 19:08:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger