commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Updated info. He said they were the forgotten battalion sent out to die, but some made it home.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
veegeebee
Forum Member

No.5, No.3 and 1/5 Commando Sidney William Klus 14987091

I'll keep adding information here as and when I get it.

We know he fought with the Gurkhas and a number of them visited him in his care home before he died.

We would love to know any information anyone has regarding Sidney William Klus DOB 11.07.25.

He didn't talk about it, he said it was best left in the past so we really don't know much and would very much be grateful for any help at all.
All he said was that not many made it back.

I wonder if anyone on here could please help.

For years we have been trying to chase these items that were 'lost' when Grandpa moved into a care home.

We have contacted the owner of the website that this was listed on who said that:

"It was sold over ten years ago and was bought if my memory serves me correctly, along with some other items from a deceased collectors estate.
Although listed on the site, according to my records it sold at an arms fair at Stoneleigh."

We would love to know any information anyone has regarding Sidney William Klus DOB 11.07.25.

We would very much be grateful for any help at all.

Thanks in advance

Link is below

https://worldmilitarycollectables.com/shop.php?code=6310

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 15/11/2022 17:54:52

Grandaughter of Commando No. 5 Troop 1 L/Cpl Sidney Klus
veegeebee
Forum Member

This could possibly be him on the left. Would be great to have it confirmed either way.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Cdo+misc+12+_2_.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/11/2022 17:47:09

veegeebee
Forum Member

We have snippets of information he told family members regarding transporting dead civilians to a burial site, he said they were younger than him (he was 20), loaded onto wooden trolleys and they should have been given more respect. He had to transport them through a narrow archway on wooden trolleys.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/11/2022 17:53:56

veegeebee
Forum Member

His friend was 'Bunny' Edwards who sadly didn't make it home with him.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/11/2022 17:57:00

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have your grandfather listed in our nominal roll for No.5 and No.3 however I cannot find any source relating to why he is included on the No.3 Commando nominal roll and I believe this may be an error and should actually be 3 Commando Brigade of which No.5 Commando was part of, as with when it was merged with No.1 Commando to form 1/5 Commando. Unfortunately we do not have access to official service records so cannot check but they should clear this up. Families can apply for Service Records themselves but I should point out there are long delays at present. Have a read of our page here with particular note of the October 2022 important update: https://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

The Bunny Edwards you refer to may be Corporal Ronald Edwards who died in service in 1946. Read more here:

https://www.commandoveterans.org/RonaldEdwards5Commando

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
veegeebee
Forum Member

Thank you so much Pete.
What an absolute tragedy of Bunny Edwards.

I've been speaking to family members today to try and piece together more information.

I have been told by his daughter (my auntie) that there were more medals he could have claimed but he didn't.
He made the family promise not to apply for them as he said he wasn't proud of what he did to earn them.

He also told me once when I was at school learning about WW2 and POW's that he was once a POW.
No one else in the family was told this information and said I had it wrong, however today I have found these online. I haven't paid the £199 they are asking for to view the documents and wondered if there was another way to find out this information?

I am so so grateful for your help. Grandpa was the kindest gentle giant and was so loved by everyone who knew him.
He deserves his story to be told.

Vicki x

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/11/2022 18:17:48

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Are you talking about Find My Past or Ancestry or some other site. Do not pay anything at this time.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
veegeebee
Forum Member

Here is a photo of Sidney William Klus
[Thumb - PHOTO-2022-11-16-20-29-20.jpg]
 Filename PHOTO-2022-11-16-20-29-20.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  66 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Vicki,

I had seen that one when I checked and he has a different service number so I do not think that is him. I think that relates to a Zenon Klus. If you are logged in to Find My Past you will find your grandfather and all his family in the The 1939 Register on there. Its a very useful resource. Thanks for the photo which I will add to the archive.

Pete

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Vicki

I have added the photo to the No.5 Commando gallery and it is currently on page 2. View that page here: https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/?g2_page=2

I have also updated the archive here: https://www.commandoveterans.org/SidneyKlus_5Commando

If you wish to provide provide your last name I will add it to you forename on the credit.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/11/2022 18:29:30

[Email]
veegeebee
Forum Member

Thank you so much.

My surname is Beddall

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger