commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John William Keefe No.9 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
[email protected]
Forum Member

I have just received my dads army records from the MOD, heavily redacted though :-( took nearly 8 months to get them. My dad was in 9 commando by July 1944. Looking at the records he left the UK in Dec 44. And was wounded, shrapnel wounds lake Commachio Italy April 45. Came back to the UK June 45. Does anyone know how the troops got to italy, and which ships were used. Was it a direct route or to Algiers 1st? Any information much appreciated please. Thank you, SHAUN KEEFE.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2022 21:04:37

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun,

I'm very surprised you say your father's records are heavily redacted - this is not usually the case...

8 months from applying to receiving the records is, in fact, very quick on average - recently I've known of cases where the wait has been 15 months!

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
[email protected]
Forum Member

HI Nick, thanks for the reply. yep apparently 23 pages redacted till 2042, i won't be here then sadly.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Message moved to Wartime Individuals Topic. For info of others view archive entry here: https://www.commandoveterans.org/JohnKeefe_9Commando

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
[email protected]
Forum Member

Thanks Pete
[email protected]
Forum Member

Hi Pete, i'm not sure if you got my email, sometimes they go to junk. but the national archives have said they will let me know by Nov 24th if a review of dads records is possible, cheers shaun.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It did go to my junk folder Shaun but I have now replied by email to you.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi again Shaun

In addition to my email I have noted an extension to the 100 year lifespan assumption rule that the National Archives now apply as the process of transfer of Service Records takes place. It?s been increased to 115 years. You can read it here:

https://cdn.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/mod-service-records-collection-faqs.pdf

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger