commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.4 Commando question  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have seen this picture which states it is 8 Troop of No.4 Commando. I have seen pictures of troops of No.4 with letters attached such as A, B, C, etc., and even some with low nos such as 1, 2 etc. What was the difference? The picture is a bit blurred but they seem to have more badges on than normal or is it my eyesight ??

Regards
[Thumb - No.4 Commando 8 Troop.jpg]
 Filename No.4 Commando 8 Troop.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1829 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/04/2009 17:40:34

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

The only additions that I can see are that each soldier has actually got a number printed on his image in the photograph ie the first soldier back row on the left being No1 with the last soldier front row extreme right being I think 69. For some reason four soldiers in the third row from the front don't have any numbers printed on thier images, perhaps these are the officers? At first glance these no's seem to look like badges / insignia, is that what you mean when you say "they seem to have more badges on than normal...."?

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/04/2009 18:11:12

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy ...thanks - it is my eyesight...I can see the numbers now. So that answers the badge element. Do you know why some troops were titled with letters and others numbered? I know there were some foreigners at some stage in No.4. Were they numbered?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

Have just been reading up on No4 and as you correctly state there were indeed French Marines attached to No4 (see attchment). Having just consulted a 3 Commando Brigade "Third Jungle Book" I notice that the two RM commando units that were part of this formation ie No's 42 and 44 RM Com also lettered their Troops rather than numbering them. So I wonder if this was also the case with the French Marines in No4, that might explain why Troops were Numbered and Lettered.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - T11-Extract from Allied Special Forces Insignia 1939-1948 chapter 1 pages 40 & 51..jpg]
 Filename T11-Extract from Allied Special Forces Insignia 1939-1948 chapter 1 pages 40 & 51..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1076 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  741 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/04/2009 12:55:12

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger