commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Christopher 'Kit' Gallagher  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Jen Gallagher
Forum Member

Hi I?m looking for any information on my Grandfather Christopher 'Kit' Gallagher. I know he was a Marine but he didn?t like talking about his time in the service so I got Marine and no further elaboration. He was in Burma, Sicily and I believe Jerusalem amongst other places.

Any info or suggestions on how I might get more info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2022 21:06:26

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jen

Unlike today not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2 which creates difficulty in answering your question without more information. Additionally WW2 RM Commandos will have served as both, ie. first enlisting and being posted to a non commando unit, later being commando trained, and then serving in a commando unit. As we do not have access to official service records, and in the absence of anything already within our archive (which we know is not complete) we rely on families to provide evidence of commando service. Some but not all photos can provide clues especially if insignia is clear or a beret is worn where the badge is clear. Feel free to attach any photos if this is the case in any reply.

Some pay websites offer what appears to be a service record facility but do not be fooled by these as the only place at present to get WW2 Service Records is via the detail on the page below. More on service records can be found here: https://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

An example of one such non commando unit of the Royal Marines was the Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation or M.N.B.D.O. A good account of the units that made up M.N.B.D.O.(1), and where they served can be found here: http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb/RMIO-MNBDO.htm

You could also try posting a request for information on the RM Historical Society Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254966255514729/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/08/2022 11:46:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jen Gallagher
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thank you for replying. I?ll try that fb group you suggested and look for any photos we might have.

Jen

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger