commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for info on Harold Hughes 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I hope someone can help me. I am looking for any information on my Grandfather Harold Hughes on behalf my gran and mum. We know that he was in 3 Commando and was involved in the Normandy landings. I have looked him up in a local history book, which suggests he may have been in 6 troop, but we don't know this for certain.

I would be really interested in hearing from anyone who may have known him, or could confirm any details of his service. I have attached a photo of him and also have another photo of him with a couple of friends on small military motorbikes, which I will post later in the hope someone may find it interesting or even recognise one of them.

Many thanks for reading

Nick
[Thumb - Harold Hughed 3Cdo.jpg]
 Filename Harold Hughed 3Cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Harold Hughes photograph
 Filesize 758 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  652 time(s)

Nick

Grandson of Harold W. Hughes 3Cdo
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

Welcome to the site, are you aware that you can send for your Grandfather's service records. A number of people on this site, including myself, have done this and have got some very useful info back. I have attached a copy of one of the documents that I received including a copy of the letter that I also recieved from the Army Personnel Centre. This letter also includes the contact details to enable you to start the process, in my case I just phoned the number at the top of the letter and the relevant application forms were sent out. Although the letter warns that the document application process can take up to six months, in my case it only took about four weeks. There is also extensive info on this site concerning applying for army personnel service records.

Good luck Andy
[Thumb - Army disclosure details.jpg]
 Filename Army disclosure details.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  648 time(s)

[Thumb - Z400.jpg]
 Filename Z400.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 252 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  626 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Andy

thanks, I will get onto this in the morning and kep my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Nick

Nick

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

Just one more point, as you may or may not know Commando soldiers were on permanent loan from thier parent regimnets. For example my father was in No1 Commando, however his parent regiment was the Royal Welch Fusiliers. If they misbehaved or didn't measure up to the exacting satndards required of them, Commando volunteers could at any time be returned to unit or RTU'd, this was a looked on as a big disgrace.
It is therefore important that you have the name of your GF's parent regiment, his Army number etc when applying for his records.
Have you checked out the photo gallery for No3 Commando on this site, there are actually quite a few of this particular Commando, also your photos would be a very welcome addition.

Again Good luck

Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/03/2009 01:25:49

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andy/All

Reading my original post I realise I missed loads of information out.

Spoke to my mum and got lots more details including a copy of ?Held In Honour ? Cheltenham & The Second World War? by Graham Sacker (2000) that gives more details (ISBN 0 9529382 3 5).

He is buried at Hermanville War Cemetery (photo attached), was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery attached to 3 Commando KIA 6/6/44.

Sacker (2000) describes 6 Troop landing in Landing Craft 290 where casualties were taken from a hit to the LC and also on the beach. He goes on to describe congestion on the beach causing delays from supporting units allowing defenders time to re-organise. 6 Troop held a position to the north of Colville who were delayed by snipers but by nightfall they were within 3 miles of Caen. Harold was killed during this action.

To add to this description, my mum recalls my gran speaking to commandos in later years that were with Harold who said he survived the landings and was advancing with an ?officer? (?) in a ?jeep? (?) when they hit a land mine and were killed. There was also a story at one point about someone seeing him on some news reel footage shot after d-day.

Not sure how much of this is fact or ?family folklore? but it would be really helpful if anyone could help us make sense of any of the info. I will try contacting Graham Sacker and see where his info comes from.

We?ve been through the photos in the Gallery and don?t see him also a got a copy of ?Fighting with the Commandos? by Stan Scott the other day and have read it (brilliant by the way, compelling read highly recommend to anyone researching the subject) but no ref to Harold ? there is a Hughes but its Dickie Hughes and he?s a sergeant.

anyway I?m waffling on a bit so will sign off and post further family info as I get it.

Nick
[Thumb - H W Hughes 3CDO Hermanville Cemetery.jpg]
 Filename H W Hughes 3CDO Hermanville Cemetery.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description H W Hughes 3CDO Hermanville Cemetery
 Filesize 972 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  629 time(s)

Nick

unknowncommandos
Forum Member

I checked the war diary which records him as 'missing'.

Many of the Royal Artillery men attached to the Commandos were anti tank rifle operators who would shoot at heavily fortified enemy emplacements.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/03/2009 14:03:12

Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just got through a photo of my grandfathers two friends on motorbikes. The pictures a bit blurred but someone might recognise them. We assume they served with him - anyone any ideas?
[Thumb - H W Hughes 3CDO friends.JPG]
 Filename H W Hughes 3CDO friends.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2612 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  661 time(s)

Nick

Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

thanks for the previous message from unknowncommandos, this is fascinating new twist. I'm applying for Harolds service record so hopefully i'll get some more info from there too.

Apparently there are various letters from Harold that might mention friends etc so i'll post any info i find.

Nick

Nick

unknowncommandos
Forum Member

The little motor scooters are called "welbikes". 3 Commando was part of the 6th Airborne Division and these little bikes would offer transport for airborne troops. They could be dropped in containers with a parachute attached to them.

3 Commando certainly received push bikes but to my knowledge I cannot recall welbikes being issued. The picture might well be the commandos having a play with them just before the D-Day invasion.
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

took a bit of the motion blur out and a blowup

steve
[Thumb - H W Hughes 3CDO friends repair.jpg]
 Filename H W Hughes 3CDO friends repair.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1353 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  639 time(s)

[Thumb - H W Hughes 3CDO friends blowup.jpg]
 Filename H W Hughes 3CDO friends blowup.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 936 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  603 time(s)

unknowncommandos
Forum Member

See the man on the right. I have many photographs of him. He later became a Sergeant Major of No.3 Commando and I strongly suspect he is from 4 Troop. This is indeed pre D-Day photograph hence the sergeant stripes. Sadly not even Mr Scott knows who he is.
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello NICK

I Wrote to your grandma last year asking information about your grandad.
I lay flowers on commando graves in Hermanville and i've seen the wreath on Harold Hughes's grave.
Someone of your family send me an e-mail and I asked to Jack BENNETT (3cdo) daughter to contact the one who send the e-mail to me, but without success.
So i'm glad to hear from you know and to see Harold face.
I went to HERMANVILLE cemetery four days ago.
I'm not really sure but I think 6 troop was in LCI 509.
I've got all LCI Numbers with each troop.
I've only one poor quality photo about 6 troop where we saw George HERBERT. I hope to find a good copy.
sincerely
stéphane
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks to all for the recent posts, the removal of the motion blur really helps and unkowncommandos, you mention you have many pictures of the guy on the right ? are any of these group shots that you could post on the gallery?

Stephane - I?m sorry you got nowhere with other members of my family, I would be keen to hear from or contact anyone that might have details on Harold and will send a PM with some contact details.

I recently spoke to Stan Scott who unfortunately did not know Harold. He is going to speak to some friends and see if they knew him.

He said that 6 Troop were in LCI 509 (though the war diary says 290 I think) that he saw get hit and that is where most of 6 troops casualties were killed. Most others were killed around Ranville.

Stan also said that 3cdo had welbikes but didn?t use them during the DDay landings and that the jeep story is unlikely as they didn?t use anything like that on Dday either.

Thanks again

Nick

Nick

unknowncommandos
Forum Member

have you seen this photograph before Nick? Did you decide it was or wasn't your Grandafther?

Ive sent copies of all my Photographs to Stan. If Mr Scott finds any information as to who that Sergeant Major is I am sure he will let me know. Last time he phoned me he was very busy translating documents for an event to do with the French Commandos.

[Thumb - bike.JPG]
 Filename bike.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 87 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  597 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 09/04/2009 11:35:43

Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

No this is new to me - any details? Nick

Nick

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger