commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Can someone tell me anything about this document please?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Heather
Forum Member

I found this recently amongst some old family papers. It relates to my grandfather but I can't find his name on any of the lists of OBE awards?

Many thanks in advance for any info
[Thumb - IMG_20220626_005534.jpg]
 Filename IMG_20220626_005534.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 901 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  299 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Heather the award was published in the London Gazette:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/40787/supplement/3109

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Heather
Forum Member

Extraordinary! thank you. A lot is said amongst the family about my other Grandfathers war time activities, he has several medals, including the Ushakov medal fairly recently awarded by Putin, but there has never been mention about this side of the family...
There should be a medal floating around the family somewhere to go with this paper? am i correct?
Does this equate to a knighthood, or is it just an 'honour'? I don't think he would have been entitled to call himself 'sir'? wikipedia is not very forthcoming on this, is there a link where i can find out exactly what this is?
Many thanks again.
Heather
Forum Member

Also, I had assumed that the difference between an 'ordinary officer' and and 'ordinary member' of the order was the military rank involved, but I see there is a squadron leader awarded ordinary member status instead of ordinary officer status. apologies for my ignorance, but what is the difference?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Follow this link

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/awards-and-accreditation/content/103372

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger