commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
183 Squadron Royal Marines  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Chris Heaton
Forum Member

I am trying to establish where a WW2 RM Commando Unit which I have only seen referred to as 183 Squadron fitted into the operational hierarchy. I have checked the histories by James Ladd and Charles Messenger and done searches on the National Archives and Imperial War Museum online catalogues but not found any reference to it - only histories of the higher level formations. Could anyone explain to me how I might track down this Unit, please.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris
I personally have never seen a reference to a specific RM Commando unit of the name you mention. Can I ask where you saw this unit mentioned and did the source actually use the words RM Commando. I ask this as unlike today not all Royal Marines in WW2 were Commandos. One additional thing you posted in the forum thread for Army Commandos rather than RM Commandos. Was this just an error?..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/06/2022 20:08:04

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Chris Heaton
Forum Member

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I will re-post this on the RM Commandos forum. The information came from a wartime photo of a group holding a sign with that unit and from the family of the person concerned.

Best wishes,

Chris

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger