commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Display of my father Hugh Maines' Commando artefacts  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have finally completed my father's Commando five frame display and just thought that I would upload it on to the forum for anyone that might be interested. For years these things have been kept stored away out of sight, so last year I decided to do something that I have been toying with for a long time and actually form them in to a display. Having said that the certificate and photo display frames have only got good quality copies, the originals are still stored safely out of the way from the destructive effects of sunlight. I have used green mountboard to represent the colour of the Commando beret, in time I intend to make some better frames from English quarter sawn oak, but for now these B&Q frames will do.
I recently sent for my father's Army records and recieved quite a lot of very useful info, although most of this was concerned with his post war Army career, one of the forms was very interesting from a Commando perspective. I actually contacted the Army Historical Disclosures Dept today to see if I could get a good quality colour copy of this particular form in order to include it with my display. To be honest I thought that they would say this was not possible, however it looks as if this will actually be able to be carried out. So hopefully in the not too distant future I will be able to add a sixth frame to my display housing this particular document / form.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - Z70-Commando Service Certificate- Hugh Maines of No1 Commando plus 1st & 2nd Pattern No1 Insignia flanked by Commando Dagger patches..JPG]
 Filename Z70-Commando Service Certificate- Hugh Maines of No1 Commando plus 1st & 2nd Pattern No1 Insignia flanked by Commando Dagger patches..JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 657 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  836 time(s)

[Thumb - Z72-Operation Torch Certificate-Hugh Maines-No1 Commando plus 1st pattern No1 Insignia flanked by Commando Dagger patches..JPG]
 Filename Z72-Operation Torch Certificate-Hugh Maines-No1 Commando plus 1st pattern No1 Insignia flanked by Commando Dagger patches..JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 618 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  766 time(s)

[Thumb - Z71-Portrait-Hugh Maines-No1 Commando-Burma-India 1944 plus campaign medals..JPG]
 Filename Z71-Portrait-Hugh Maines-No1 Commando-Burma-India 1944 plus campaign medals..JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 565 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  573 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Steve T
Forum Member

Oustanding display..
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

aww mate beautifully done . To pass on for generations to come

SE Donnison
[MSN]
marcel320
Forum Member

very nice display
marcel
[WWW]
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Superb display Andy, well done!

JB
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks very much JB and Marcel, the display has actually changed a bit since I originally posted it, I have replaced the 1st pattern No1 Salamander and matching shoulder title with more accurate reproductions and have also replaced my father's Commando Service certificate with a version that I digitally repaired. I just hope that some more photos turn up on this site that contain my father so that I can add to this display!!

Fingers crossed, cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger