commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Horace Farr Varney (1921-2008) JX153534 Comb Ops  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Rob Marshall
Forum Member

Hello,

He'd never spoken much about his service history but, shortly before he died, he said he became a RN Beach Commando on Landing Craft and the beaches at Normandy in 1944.

Thereafter, I gained my mother-in-law's permission to obtain his service history, which was enlightening.

He joined at RN Ganges RNJTE in 1937. I know his naval history until he was posted to HMS Copra in November 1943, which was Combined Ops and covered personnel operating in Landing Ships, Landing Craft and Beach Commando activities.

On 1st January 1944 he was lent to HMS Dundonald ( holding and training base for RN Beach Commandos and holding base for Combined Ops personnel. RN Beach Commandos trained with their respective beach groups. It was also responsible for initial naval training for officers and crews of major landing craft).

On 18th January 1944 Harry, rated AB, was lent to HMS Westcliff(e), the Combined Ops base and holding base for Landing Craft flotillas at Southend. During this posting, Harry was made up to Acting Leading Seaman, Telegraphy on 01 Jul 1944.

On 1st October 1944 Harry, rated A/L/Sea (Ty), was lent to 15 LCT Flotilla. LCT = Landing Craft ?Tank?.

On 1st July 1945 Harry, rated A/L/Sea (Ty), was lent to HMS Westcliff(e), but was made up to Acting Petty Officer Telegraphy, A/PO(Ty), 03 Jul 1945.

What I'd like to know is which LCTs (or other craft) he served on, and the types of duties he'd have been involved in, during the Normandy landings.

I'd be grateful if anybody has info or could point me in the right direction to obtain it.
My own late father landed at Normandy in the 49th Recce 'A' Squadron (Armoured Cars).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/04/2022 11:23:52

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Rob

Is there anything on the service record you have that specifically states the word Commando or uses a reference to a letter in the alphabet for a unit. RNBC units were designated by letter rather than number. There are two websites that contain a great deal of information, one on those who served on Landing Craft or other sections of Combined Operations and the other about the RNBC.

Combined Ops: https://www.combinedops.com/

RNBC: http://www.relaysystem.co.uk/id3.html

Well worth spending some time researching their content.

Ps.
I have shortened the subject title of your post as it was causing a problem when attempting to reply for some reason.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/04/2022 11:26:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger