commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Graham Leslie Cooper  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is with much sadness that I advise you of the death of Graham Cooper on the 26th November 2021 aged 76. Graham had been unwell with C.O.P.D. Our deepest condolences to his wife Sandi, their children Paul and Pip, and grandchildren Charlie and Harrie.

Graham was an associate member of the Commando Association and an avid researcher in his spare time. A prolific provider to us of lists of names and details from his research on all things commando, each properly sourced, he has been pivotal in making this archives nominal rolls, rolls of honour, and obituaries into the excellent resource they are today. Whilst Graham never served in a commando unit he was a veteran of 24 years service in the R.E.M.E. where his nickname was Henry. Sandi tells me his focus on those who served in the commandos really began after seeing the growing number of casualties suffered by 3 Commando Brigade RM in Afghanistan.

Although I never actually met Graham in person we had many phone chats in the past often lasting for long periods about those who served in the commandos. I found him to be a very unassuming man never seeking personal credit only ever wanting those who served, who died, who were wounded, or who displayed outstanding gallantry, to be properly remembered. The amount of research he did was quite incredible and we have a lot to thank him for.

Rest in peace Graham.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/03/2022 17:31:27

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am so terribly sad to read about Graham's death. My condolences to his family.

Graham helped me so much in my search for information regarding my dad.

Thank you, Graham.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

I am saddened to hear of the passing of Graham Cooper.

Graham very quietly made a massive contribution to this archive over the last decade.

Graham provided excellent research contributing to the Nominal Rolls and other lists.

Graham, unselfishly, also supported and provided other researchers and members with answers and sources of information to help them.

A very great loss.

My condolences and sympathy to his wife Sandi and all of Grahams friends and family.

God speed Graham and thanks.

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was deeply saddened to hear of Graham's passing and can only echo the words of Pete Rogers...
Graham made huge contributions to the Cdo Nominal Rolls and was always embarrassed when he was given credit for his contribution and sterling efforts.

Arte et Marte

Rest in Peace Graham,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Our thoughts and prayers are with Sandi and all the family, friends and comrades. May God comfort you all at this sad time. Know that Graham has helped so many folk with research and contributed so much to the rolls of honour. We will all miss him.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger