commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
C/Sgt E F Long, RM 42 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Tim Long
Forum Member

I am searching for my father's medals from WW2 (Burma). It appears he might have donated them to a local museum or Association. He lived in Cambridge. If there is anyone local who can give me some suggestions, I would be most grateful. Or even if anyone knows a local contact who might be able to help me. I have tried the RM Museum & also Duxford.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello Tim

Whilst i have no direct information for you regarding local Museums, your father was a member of the Burma Star Association and we have a record of him in our own online archive. I would like to include a photo of him should you wish that and also his dates and places of birth and death. Here is a link to that entry: https://www.commandoveterans.org/EdwardLong42RMCommando

The Burma Star Association has since merged with The Burma Star Memorial Fund. Not sure if they might have any suggestions or knowledge: https://www.burmastar.org.uk/

Was it definitely a local museum ? There is the Kohima Museum in York and of course the commando artefacts that used to be at the Spean Bridge Hotel near Fort William now removed for safekeeping by todays Commando Association, and also the West Highland Museum in Fort William itself.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2022 17:26:19

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Tim Long
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for the suggestions, I will follow these up.

My father was born in Luton on 9 October 1918 & died in Cambridge on 6 May 2015. I attach a photo.

Many thanks!
[Thumb - CSgt Long 42RM.jpg]
 Filename CSgt Long 42RM.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description C/Sgt E F Long, RM 42 Commando
 Filesize 685 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  209 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/02/2022 21:24:48

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Photo now added to the 42RM Commando gallery and to the main archive entry above:
https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/42/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger