commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
9 commando beret badge.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
[email protected]
Forum Member

hi, my dad was JOHN WILLIAM KEEFE, Number 14729480. . 9 COMMANDO. IM TRYING TO SOURCE A FEW PIECES OF MEMORABILIA, TO PUT WITH PHOTOGRAPHS. would the attached pic be the right beret badge? ANY GUIDANCE MUCH APPRECIATED, SHAUN KEEFE
[Thumb - Royal-Marines-brass-lge-320x427.jpg]
 Filename Royal-Marines-brass-lge-320x427.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  114 time(s)

Doug
Forum Member

Hi Shaun,

If you take a quick look at the No 9 Commando gallery you will see that in a few of the photographs the soldier is wearing a green beret with a black hackle.

regards, Doug
[email protected]
Forum Member

Thanks Doug, will check the photo's out, cheers Shaun.
[email protected]
Forum Member

im sure my dad had a gold coloured like pin badge on his green beret, once over, i might be wrong, long time ago.? i dont remember the Heckle Doug.
Doug
Forum Member

My dad had the hackle along with the beret but I recall that it deteriorated very quickly and was thrown away.

It appears that your dad was a teenager when he enlisted in 1943-44 ? and I'm sure by then that the unit was wearing the hackle, although I read that when they were originally formed the inductees wore the badge of their original regiment.

Google "9 commando black hackle" or look at this websites 9 Commando page. I believe that No 11 commando also wore the black hackle.

The hackle is available online but it will cost you 12 quid.

Regards Doug
[email protected]
Forum Member

Thanks Doug :-)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Shaun have a read of this about No.9 Commando and in particular their headgear in relation to the black hackle and lack of badge: https://www.commandoveterans.org/9Commando

If you look in the gallery you will see that the vast majority of photos show this.

No.9 Commando was Army Commando unit not Royal Marines. Bearing in mind the above if you just want to add the badge of his Regiment that he wore before he was attached to No.9 Commando then it would be the badge of the Somerset Light Infantry as depicted here: https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/somerset-light-infantry-prince-alberts

More about Pte John William Keefe: https://www.commandoveterans.org/JohnKeefe_9Commando

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/02/2022 21:59:24

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
[email protected]
Forum Member

Thanks Pete :-)

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger