commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
9 Commando.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
[email protected]
Forum Member

HI, Does anyone know which operations 9 commando were involved in jan 1945-april 1945. I think my dad fought in operation roast and Argenta gap. His name was JOHN WILLIAM KEEFE, Number 14729480. He was wounded sometime between 2nd April and the 18th April. Many thanks Shaun.
Doug
Forum Member

Hi Shaun

Your dad was probably involved in Operations Roast and Impact Royal. I believe that the operations are mentioned on this website under no 9 commando. Also some personal memories about Comacchio and Argenta in chapter 11 of "True Stories of the Commandos " by Robin Hunter.

Doug
[email protected]
Forum Member

HI Doug, thanks for this info, much appreciated. Shaun.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun

Have you a photo of your father that you would like included in the gallery. If so either post it as an attachment in any reply, or as you already have my email send it to me and I will include it. Can you also include the date and place of his birth and if applicable his death and I will include that as well.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
[email protected]
Forum Member

HI Pete, i do have 1 photo, but i dont think he is in 9 commando uniform? might be his 1st unit Somerset light infantry??? My sister is looking for photos too. Will ping over asap. cheers Pete, Shaun.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun,

I have a J W Keefe in my No.9 Cdo Nominal Roll - up until now that was all the details I had, but will now update.
I also have a database of soldiers from SLI who became commandos - I will add his details there as well...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
[email protected]
Forum Member

wow, thanks Nick, JOHN WILLIAM KEEFE, , Service number 14729480, born 1926 in Folkestone, died 1989 in Oldham Lancashire. Served in Italy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun

Thank you for the photo of your Father which I have attached here. We actually did have your Father's full name in our Obituaries within this archive it having been found in a newsletter of the original Commando Association that stood down in 2005 (a new association was formed and in 2019 reverted to the name of the old one). I have added the year of his passing there. Limited details were in the Commando Veterans Archive nominal roll for No.9 Commando so I have updated that, added the photo to the No.9 Commando Gallery of this archive, and included an additional personnel page. Here are links to two of them:

Personnel page: https://www.commandoveterans.org/JohnKeefe_9Commando

Gallery: https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/?g2_page=2
[Thumb - JOHN WILLIAM KEEFE 9 cdo.jpg]
 Filename JOHN WILLIAM KEEFE 9 cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  125 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/02/2022 23:19:46

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger