commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Deep Cut 28 September 1941 Saint-Vaast  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Valisch
Forum Member

Good morning,

my name is Valentin Schneider and I am working on the history of Normandy during the German occupation. I have particular interest in operation Deep Cut that targeted Saint-Vaast near Cherbourg on 28 September 1941 and was led by 1 Section 5 Troop No 1 Commando. The topic had been covered in previous posts dating back to 2008.
Two questions mainly:

(1) 1 Section was commanded by Lieutenant George Ambrose Scaramanga, who appears to have been a peer of Ian Fleming at Eton College, inspiring the latter while creating the vilain Francisco Scaramanga for his James Bond novel "The Man with the Golden Gun". I found a few bits of information going into that direction, but nothing really specific. Does anyone know more?

(2) It is reported that the men were able to carry away an injured German soldier and take him onboard, but that this soldier later died from his injuries. Does anyone know what happened to his body? Has he ever been identified? I checked the list of German soldiers buried at Cannock Chase German war cemetery, but there is no soldier that died around the 28 of September 1941.

Kind regards
Valentin

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger