commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Signalman Chapman, Special Service Brigade, Group & Signals  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Robbie59
Forum Member

hello, thanks for adding here! I'm looking for information about

George Chapman
Number: 14220497
Member of SSB Group & Signals
Probably capturate at Gravelines 25 December 1943

https://www.commandoveterans.org/GeorgeChapman_BdeSigs

if anyone has copies of WO and even period documents mentioning them

Thanks for all information!
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Robbie,

I have attached the listing of George Chapman as a PoW in Stalag 11A and the entry in the Cdo Assoc Newsletter, issue 91, August 1990.
Hope this helps your research.

Nick
[Thumb - Chapman.jpg]
 Filename Chapman.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  175 time(s)

[Thumb - Chapman.CA91.jpg]
 Filename Chapman.CA91.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 258 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  180 time(s)

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Robbie, hope this will be of some use.

Hardtack 11.

24th December/25th December and 26th December/27th December 1943.

No.?s 1 & No. 8 (French) Troops, 10 (IA) Commando.

2 Special Boat Section.

Pointe de Gravelines.

A reconnaissance of beaches and sand dunes at Gravelines under the command of WO 1 Pierre Adonis Louis Wallerand, the party left Dover on MTB 25 and were able to get to the beach and make a landing, but the small dory was swamped and water got into the engine causing it to stop, the crew of the Special Boat Section, Sgt. John Park attached from 4 Commando and his signaller Cpl. Jack Jones (Vladimir Kottka) of 3 (X) Troop paddled it back to the MTB sending the codeword ?Donkey? meaning they were in a fix and the engine had stopped, at the other end of the signal this was received as ?Sunk?. Getting back to the MTB they were able to drain the engine and restart it before returning to the beach with a further signaller, Chapman.

In the meantime Wallerand, Navrault and Meunier set out to reconnoitre the minefield whilst Caron, Medec and Pourcelot took up defensive positions to give cover if required.

In the early hours a small German foot patrol passed along the beach but the Commandos remained unseen.

Once the reconnaissance was completed they returned to the beach and the Dory and tried to re-embark but a swell over turned the boat rendering it useless as the engine had been immersed in water yet again.

Park and Wallerand attempted to use grapnel anchors to pull the boat away from the beach before Wallerand attempted to swim to the MTB, both he and John Park were never seen again and both were presumed to have drowned. .

I have 3 WO 417 files for Chapman 1/ reporting him missing 25/12/43. 2/ Confirming him POW in German hands and 3/ Now longer POW dated 1945.

Alan.

Robbie59
Forum Member

Hell,

Indeed it is related to the Hardtack 11 raid, I live a few kilometers from the site of this raid. A book has appeared in French about this raid, there is a lot of information, but some information is still missing.

In particular, a lot of information is missing about John Park, his route before the raid in particular, ditto for Vladimir Kottka (Jack Jones)

If you have these WO files about member of Hardtack 11, I'm very interested!

I also want to know how were they dressed, equipped, what weapons etc ...

Thanks

Cordially
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Some may have seen it already but for the benefit of those who have not there is more on this link which included a link to a previous forum message of interest:

https://www.commandoveterans.org/JohnPark4Commando

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Robbie59
Forum Member

Thank you Pete, I saw this link unfortunately it does not contain enough information for me, I do not know his background before the opera except that he participated in the Dieppe raid.

when I am interested in a man I try to retrace his entire journey throughout his life (early life, military life and after if he is not died during war)

Nicolas
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nicholas
I was sure you had seen it but placed it there just in case. All the Casualty reports for Sgt Park show he was attached to 2 SBS though the CWGC show No.4 Commando. I will email you the docs that I entered as sources for both men but I suspect they will add no more than you already know. I will also check The 1939 Register.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

For interest on Gravelines.

Extracts from Commando Association newsletter 75 issued Sept 1982 and 98 - March 1994.

[Thumb - CA98_memorial_gravelines.png]
 Filename CA98_memorial_gravelines.png [Disk] Download
 Description Extract from Commando Association newsletter 98
 Filesize 763 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  145 time(s)

[Thumb - CA75_extract_gravelines.png]
 Filename CA75_extract_gravelines.png [Disk] Download
 Description Extract from Commando Association newsletter 75
 Filesize 232 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  150 time(s)

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The 1939 Register for Edmonton London where the full name and date of birth are the same as on the WO416 transcript of the German Record Cards of British PoW's. and the place of birth is shown on the 1939 Register as 51 Park Road Edmonton which is North London (London is on the WO416 file).
[Thumb - Chapman_1939_Register.png]
 Filename Chapman_1939_Register.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 91 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  146 time(s)

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger