commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No7 Commando billeted in Felixstowe  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jon Warnes
Forum Member

I am writing a biography of my Mother's war time memories in Felixstowe and am attempting to trace four members of No 7 Commando. They were billeted with Harry Haggar and family for several months in 1940 at 58 St Andrews Road next to a corner shop and often trained at night on the local marshes. My Mother who is now 90 remembers them as "Jack, the quiet one, Don, from London, Fred, big and ginger haired and Walter" and always wondered what happened to them.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jon.

I'm sorry you've not received any replies to you question yet - but I'm sure you appreciate that it's the proverbial needle in the haystack scenario...
The problem is there is very little information to go on other than first/nick names.

Looking at the Nominal Roll for No.7 Commando - which was only recently compiled - but is nowhere near complete - there was a number of commandos called John and the derivative of John was 'Jack'! There are also a lot of commandos with the initial 'J' who might also fit the bill...
Don is probably a derivative of Donald which suggests a Scottish origin - and there were a number of commandos from the London Scottish (regiment)!
Frederick was quite a common first name - I have counted 12 commandos whom we have recorded as being Frederick, but this does not include those whose initial is 'F' or any that we don't have an initial or first name for!
Similarly there are a couple of 'Walters' - but also a lot with the initial 'W'.

I don't suppose your grandmother has any photos of the commandos at 58 St Andrews Road which we could use to compare with photos in the CVA Gallery?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger