commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
80th Anniversary Dieppe Raid - info?  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
BradshawB
Forum Member

Hello all!
I intend to go to Dieppe next August to mark my late father's participation in the 1942 raid. He - Mne Leslie Charles Bradshaw - was part of "A" Commando No 10 Platoon/IAU and survived the raid. He was a Bren gunner and was awarded the MM for his actions that day.
I have not previously attended any memorial event in Dieppe and wondered if anyone on this forum could tell me where I should head for in the town re any ceremony/gathering. I have read online about a memorial in a theatre in Dieppe but presume there will be an outdoor space/memorial for such an event? An itinerary may or may not exist at this stage but any info would be most welcome. Am I also correct in assuming his landing craft was heading for "White Beach" before it struck rocks and pivoted just short of the shore?
My Dad survived the war, thankfully, but died quite young at 48 back in 1971 and I'd like to be there on August 19 to mark this anniversary. Thank you.
- Bill Bradshaw
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bill

My Dad served at Dieppe with No 4 Commando.

I will let you know when I hear as the Maires usually produce a programme.

Will PM you so I remember but will publish on here when I find out.

A Royal Marines Commando were so brave and we remember them with honour.

My Dad was a bren gunner too.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Bill

The details of the theatre you mention can be found here:

https://www.seine-maritime-tourisme.com/diffusio/en/i-choose/an-attraction/museums/dieppe/memorial-of-the-19th-august-1942_TFOPCUNORM00FS00087.php

Our entry for your Dad is here: https://www.commandoveterans.org/LeslieBradshaw40RMCommando

If you provide his dates of birth and death I will add those.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
BradshawB
Forum Member

Thanks to both Bill Harvey and Pete, the archivist, for these replies. I've also had some good info from Phil Loyd, who I met on the IoW a few years back - he is secretary for 40 Commando 1942-46 @and, of course, 'A' Commando X Company became part of that outfit later in 1942.

One way or another, I'm determined to be in Dieppe next August 19.

By the way, my Dad's birth/death dates are:
4/4/1923 ... 28/5/1971.

Thanks chaps,

Bill Bradshaw

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger