commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sheila MacFarlane  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Bill Harvey advises us of the sad news of the very recent death of Sheila MacFarlane, daughter of Private P.A. Wells [more....] of No 4 Commando who died in April 1945 and is buried in Belgium. Our sincere condolences to both her daughters and to all family and friends. Bill has added the following:
It was with great sadness that I learned of the death of Sheila, last night, from her daughter Hazel. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the family at this sad time. Hazel advised me that the funeral will take place in the Dignity Funeral Parlour at 10.00am 11th November (there may only be room for the family there). From there the funeral will proceed to Troon Cemetery Dundonald Road Troon arriving at 10.45 am should any of you manage to come and pay your respects.
We were lucky in Troon where No 4 Commandos were billeted and so many stayed on after the war. Commando Association parties where the Commando family came together. These men gave us an ethos of service which we learned of along with our mothers who did a lot of work for the Commando Association.
Sheila and I grew up as Commando Bairns but Sheila beat me in 1952 at the unveiling of the Commando Memorial as you can see in the photo I have attached the wee lassie peeking round behind on the left that is her. Sheila Mum Peggy and my Mum Margaret both meeting the Queen Mum as No 4 Commando widows are in that photo they were great friends.
Her Dad Pte P.A. Wells, No 4 Commando date of death 28/04/45 is buried in a war grave in Belgium.
It seemed only natural that considering the number of times from our young years that we had been up at Spean Bridge for Armistice that we joined the Commando Veterans Association as associate members attending the AGM most years now the Commando Association. I am really happy that some of Sheila's family are now associate members.
As I write this tonight can I say to the family always be proud of Sheila as we are she has touched so many of us down through the years and we in that large Commando Family that we have are with you and alongside you tonight and in the days to come.
God's richest blessing and may he comfort you in the days to come.

Rest in peace Sheila.
[Thumb - Mum with three No4 widows, Queen Mum, Lovat.jpg]
 Filename Mum with three No4 widows, Queen Mum, Lovat.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 676 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  212 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/11/2021 23:26:01

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Very sad news indeed Bill. Sheila had sent us this photo of herself as a baby being held by her Father who died on 28 April 1945 aged 23.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

More photos of the Family can be seen here https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/pa+wells/

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger