commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RAF Commando's.  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Has anyone come across any RAF personnel - of any rank - who served in any Commando unit?

I'm sure there were liaison officers, but I'm talking about actual Commando service.

No purpose to this enquiry, just idle curiosity sparked by a mis-read thread about RAF Servicing Commandos.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Here is a link to an article on the Burma Star site :

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/rafservicing.htm

and another - on this one there is a link on the left " servicing commandos" which is informative:

http://www.tswscdoassn.co.uk/

and another from the BBC :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/95/a2773695.shtml

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 07/03/2009 20:09:38

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,

I was recently contacted by John Forsey who had purchased a set of No5 Commando shoulder flashes and formation patches from an ex-Para.

John told me that the Para told him that the badges had belonged to a late friend and colleague from the Paras - John Biggs.

Apparently Biggs had joined the RAF and flown a couple of missions before the 'powers that be' discovered that he was underage.
Biggs left the RAF and joined the Army, volunteering for the Commandos.

When No5 was disbanded, John Biggs went on to join the Airborne...

[There are photos of his shoulder flashes and formation patch in the CVA Gallery in the 'Commando Badges and Memorabilia' Album and it is obvious that these are early designs]

If I've understood your question correctly, I think you're asking, RAF Servicing Cdos apart, did any RAF personnel joined the Army Commandos or worked with the Army Commandos?

If that is so, then this is the closest I can get...

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2009 20:20:11

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

What a bloke , eh?

Joins the RAF, re-joins the army, volunteers for the commandos, then joins the para's.

Men like that should have their story written down.

You've summed my question up, having an RAF background myself I didnt think it likely there would be anyone, maybe the RAF Regiment later would produce volunteers, but they were formed later in the war for a definite aim.

cheers.

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger