commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The Journal Of The Victoria Cross Society  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

ive always been keen on reading about Victoria Cross winners so I joined the Victoria Cross Society. They produce a superb Journal full of photos and info on VCs. The March 2009 Journal has a great painting ,which Ive never seen, of the Campletown hitting the docks at St Nazaire by artist John Worsley Inside is a wonderful article on Charles NewmanVC by his daughter Penny Carless.
The VC Society is really worth joining
[Thumb - 04-03-2009 22;37;20.jpg]
 Filename 04-03-2009 22;37;20.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 159 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  730 time(s)

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Looks like an impressive painting. Here's one by the ex cricketer Jack Russell, commisioned by the St Nazaire Society, for the 50th anniversary of the raid.

[Thumb - print by jack.jpg]
 Filename print by jack.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  703 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 05/03/2009 14:01:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen'

I can agree with you it is a very nice publication and well worth being a subscriber.

I have been in the VCS from its beginning and if you go to the web-site and click on 'Sample Journal Articles' you will see my contribution on Hill 170 and George Knowland VC

Also I did one on Harden VC 45 Cdo in a later issue......

http://www.victoriacrosssociety.com/sample_articles.htm

Trying to keep our Commando heroes in the publics mind.

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hey John I have them all too Ididnt know you were involved ! cool mate

SE Donnison
[MSN]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks Stephen
I forgot that I also did an article on Tommy Durrant VC No 1 Cdo St Nazaire.

In issue No 6.

Cheers
John M

Primus Inter Pares

Denise
Forum Member

FOR SALE BY AUCTION - SATURDAY 9 NOVEMBER 2013 - THE ALEXANDRA HOTEL, FORT WILLIAM, SCOTLAND

"THE RAID ON ST. NAZAIRE" LIMITED EDITION SIGNED PRINT BY "JACK" RUSSELL

My father (the late and very much missed) Bill "Dutch" Holland, No.2 Commando / Border Regiment was one of the "Charioteers". He took part in Operation Chariot - The Raid on St. Nazaire - March 1942. He was captured and spent several years as a "guest" in Stalag VIIIB Lamsdorf.

His signed limited edition print - see posting above - is being offered for auction at the above venue. There is full provenance with it - a press cutting and photos of Dad holding the print. It measures 48inches by 28 inches and is professionally framed with the Certificate of Authenticity on the reverse. I have obtained an email from Jack Russell Fine Arts, confirming value at auction

Bids can be made at the auction on the night, or by sealed bid, proxy bid, telephone bid on the night (numbers to be released later) or email expression of interest, and we will keep you informed. ALL MONIES RAISED WILL GO TO THE COMMANDO VETERANS ASSOCIATION in full, for the maintenance and upkeep of the memorials at Spean Bridge and Alrewas. Please share this posting, to raise awareness, More photos can be sent to interested parties by emailing me at [email protected] many thanks. Denise
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Denise this is fantastic.......I think it will make a good price.

An idea that you may like to think on.

General Corran Purdon MC is a member of the CVA . As a Lt he led a a demolition troop from 12 Cdo on the raid of St Nazaire ,was wounded, earned the MC and was captured and spent the rest of the war in colditz.

He later rose to the rank of General

I wonder if through the CVA you could approach him to maybe sign the work also........this would make your piece even more unique and even more desirable and hence lift the potential price at auction.

Very best regards

John M

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/07/2013 10:26:37

Primus Inter Pares

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger