commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Setting the Commando Records straight...  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Well done to Steve (silvo) Silvester for getting the National Archives to amend it's records.

Just after I'd posted a list of No5 Cdo names, Steve contacted me to inform me that he thought I'd spelt one particular name wrong.
Namely, Lt R J G Burtinshaw. [ KIA at St Nazaire, 28 March 1942]

Steve said that, according to his source [The National Archives], it should be Burtenshaw.
I double checked my sources [Commonwealth War Graves Commision (CWGC) and the Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour], both said Burtinshaw.

Ironically the National Archives told Steve to check with the CWGC, in the meantime I checked both spellings with the London Gazette - they were both there.
In a supplement to the London Gazette dated 5 July 1945, Lt Burtenshaw's death was listed; however, on 25 June 1946 the London Gazette published a War Office Errata which substituted Burtenshaw with Burtinshaw.
Steve had by now contacted Nation Archives and informed them that their records may be wrong and received what I thought to be quite a terse reply saying that they wouldn't change their records...

Undetered Steve wrote back:
silvo to National Archives wrote: Thank you for the email ...however the name was subsequently corrected in the london gazette i have recently sent you a link .

The Wargrave commission take there names directly from the next of kin .

So if the original document is clearly incorrect do you intend to perpetuate the error, this man died in the service of his country the least we can do is spell his name right now and in any future online reference?

I hope you can look at this again

many thanks

Steve Silvester

National Archives wrote:Dear Mr Silvester,

Thank you for your reply.

We have changed the database to read ?Burtenshaw or Burtinshaw?; this should be viewable on line in the next week or so.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Now, thanks to Steve's perseverance, the correct spelling is sure to be recorded in the National Archives.

We Will Remember Them.

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/03/2009 09:19:35

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

excellent Steve well done mate

SE Donnison
[MSN]
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

To be honest ...if Nick had not found the ammunition in the Gazette i doubt if they would of moved on it without a protracted "debate".

He gave me the ammo i just pulled the trigger ...lol... But as these great online data warehouses come into existence, we all need to check the information is correct or it will make it impossible for future generations to check back and research there family history .

cheers for your help Nick

Steve

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger