commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando statue  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
AHewlett
Forum Member

Hi there

I was wondering if someone could help. There?s a rumour in my family that my granddad, Sidney Hewlett, modelled for the statue. He was a regimental major and was praised by Eisenhower during his service. He was also part of the No 1 commandos

Does anyone know where I could find more information on who modelled does the statue or if there?s any documents or any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

From Wikipedia

The monument consists of a cast bronze sculpture of three Commandos in characteristic dress complete with cap comforter, webbing and rifle, standing atop a stone plinth looking south towards Ben Nevis. The soldier at the front is thought to depict Commando Jack Lewington who frequently attended Remembrance Services at the monument during his lifetime. One of the other two soldiers is Frank Nicholls (rank unknown) the other is regimental sergeant major Sidney Hewlett. Originally from the Welsh guards but hand picked to be one of the founding NCOs of the commandos he was also held in high regard and noted several times by Eisenhower. The entire monument is 17 feet (5.2 metres) tall.The monument has been variously described as a huge, striking and iconic statue.

"United we conquer" is inscribed around the top of the stone plinth, while the original plaque on the stone plinth reads: "In memory of the officers and men of the commandos who died in the Second World War 1939?1945. This country was their training ground."

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
AHewlett
Forum Member

Thanks Kevin! I found that as well but wasn?t sure if a family member or a family friend had edited the Wikipedia page to confirm that.

It?s more about finding solid proof (if there is such a thing)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This question has arisen many times before. Jack Lewington was interviewed and this was published. I have seen nothing that could be described as official about the men.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1392.page

This is unlike the models for the Westminster Abbey Memorial where two of them were named by the sculptor.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/CombinedServicesMemorialModels

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/06/2021 10:38:50

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
AHewlett
Forum Member

Thanks Pete!

I think the problem is it?s been a story in my family for ages and my brother, who was also in the army, is really trying to find proof of who the models were. But without hard proof, it?s a little bit like a minefield as it could be anyone really

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger