commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Discovered a No2 Commando insignia on my late father?s jacket  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Andy Collins
Forum Member

Although my father passed away 20 years ago, I am still finding hints to his second world war service. Sadly what I remember being told when much younger, does not seem to align with the little information I am now finding through the internet.
I have just found an early No2 Commando insignia on a jacket pocket. What I think I know is that my father served throughout the second world war as a Territorial with the Royal Tank Corps but he could have volunteered at the time of the Commando reorganisation in 1942 ? I remember my mother?s trepidation at telling me how my father had married a woman immediately prior to an operation that few were expected to survive but survive he did and the marriage was ended shortly after his return.
Before I launch myself into the world of record hunting, is it reasonable to assume this insignia find does mean my father could have served with No2 Commando ?
Thank you for any insight.
Andy Collins
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

How exciting! We'd love to know whatever you find out.

My dad (No.4) volunteered for everything but knew No.2 were after munitions experts for St Nazaire in '42 - he was assault team, later to fight with them at Salerno. I remember him agreeing with mam that that operation was looked on as a 'suicide mission'.

Good luck!

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Can you post a photo of the insignia you refer to and provide the full name of your Father and his service number if you know it.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger