commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
4612944 John Martin - possible Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
AB64
Forum Member

Looking for info on John Martin, 9/5/42 he is signed off as having attended the Special Training Centre Lochailort so I'm thinking he was a Commando (I'm not sure if other interesting characters also passed through) any extra info most welcome
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There are a number of J Martins in the nominal rolls but, unfortunately, there isn't much detailed information that identifies your man to any particular Commando Unit, ie service numbers and parent regiment, against any of them.
His service number of seven digits between 4601001 - 4680000 would indicate that he was in Duke of Wellington's Regiment.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
AB64
Forum Member

Thanks for having a look, I can't see any other details that may give a clue, I'll probably just have to wait til the WW2 records are released in the future. Thanks again
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I don't know if you have any other info on him, but you may have enough to apply to the MoD, as a General Enquirer, for some basic details from his service records...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
AB64
Forum Member

I have his Service Book which lists the course, but it doesn't reveal much else to give a steer on where he was and when. I'm keen to know his story but its not something urgent so as I say I think I'll wait til the records are open access, from some of the recent talk the MOD and National Archives seem to be starting down the road of transferring data, I'm not expecting it any time soon but it is on the horizon. Thanks again

Alistair

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger