commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Doug (Dink) Webster, No2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
jim webster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

ANY PHOTOS OR DIARY INFORMATION ON MY FATHER WOULD BE MUCH [email protected]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/02/2009 08:48:00

jim webster proud son of Sgt Doug Webster 2 commando 4 troop.
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jim - We will send this reply this way. We see by your other post that it is indeed the Doug Webster Bob remembers so well from No. 2 Cdo. We sincerely hope he is still with us as Bob has been filling me with recollections of him all morning. He has so very much to pass on to you.

All the best

Janet & Bob
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Great result!!! Nice one Bob and Janet. Just what the website was designed for. Good luck Jim.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Jim:

Your first letter to us gave us the very sad news of your Dad's passing in 1994. Although it has been 63 years since I was last with Doug, I thought that he would always be around to one day meet up with again. After all, I had him as part of my life for almost 6 years as a great friend and a wonderful comrade.

Doug was a bit older than myself. I met him first when I enlisted in the Royal Norfolk Regt. I was 16 in 1940 and he sort of watched out for me in the manner of an older brother. I went to No. 2 Commando in '41 and Doug followed me in April '42 after taking down his stripes so that he could go to Achnacarry which he 'breezed through with no fuss or comment. You Dad soon made his mark in the Commando and was quickly promoted to his rank of Sgt. before he left Scotland to go overseas. As Doug was a quiet and modest man I am not surprised at all to read that he told you nothing of what followed in his tenure with No. 2.

I can send you some specific details and excerpts from the actual 2 Commando War Diaries which can be mailed to any address you choose. Also, my personal memories of Dougie would fill a book and I will be so happy to pass these on to you.

Mike (Major) Stilwell and I seem to be the only army officers still around who saw service in No. 2. He is the tall one on the left in the picture taken last year. I am the short guy on the right. The salutes are our message for Doug and the rest of our boys who we remember so well.

We will be in touch again soon, Jim.

Kindest personal regards,

Bob and Janet
[Thumb - Salute.JPG]
 Filename Salute.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Mike Stilwell & Bob Bishop - salute
 Filesize 368 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  477 time(s)

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jim wrote the following in some of our correspondences:

"Yes i received Bobs letter and salute, my heartfelt thanks and gratitude to you both and the CVA for putting us together"

and

"ps.What a great website the CVA run."

We thoroughly agree - Geoff, accept the 'pat on the back' and take a big bow !!!!

Bob and Janet
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Bob, the pat on the back goes to Dan Mewett, the Forum and Gallery are brilliant and just what we needed. Dan and myself are hoping to get together on my return to add even more facilities including an online payment facility for subs and merchandise. Cheers Dan.
UWC

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

geoffmurray1 wrote:Bob, the pat on the back goes to Dan Mewett, the Forum and Gallery are brilliant and just what we needed. Dan and myself are hoping to get together on my return to add even more facilities including an online payment facility for subs and merchandise. Cheers Dan.
UWC

Well said that man!
But don't be modest Geoff, you too deserve a pat on the back - as does Bob B for all his first hand experiences...
A great forum which is growing on a daily basis.
The promise of more facilities and articles etc is really exciting.
Great work guys!

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger