commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt. Robert F. Bishop  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Crockett
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am looking for pictures or information or family of Lt. Robert F. Bishop. He served as a captain in A Company, 2nd Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion, USMC. 2nd Recon trained at Camp Geiger and Stone Bay near Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. I'm sure most people did not know this. Several 2nd Recon members, including my dad, remember Captain Bishop and that he was a British Commando. I would like for his family to know about this group, which I created on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/202324857019969
[Thumb - Robert F. Bishop roster.jpg]
 Filename Robert F. Bishop roster.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Robert F. Bishop, A Company, 2nd Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion-USMC
 Filesize 17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  186 time(s)

[Thumb - Robert F. Bishop-The Record-New Jersey-3 October 1950.jpg]
 Filename Robert F. Bishop-The Record-New Jersey-3 October 1950.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Robert F. Bishop-The Record-New Jersey-3 October 1950
 Filesize 75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  187 time(s)

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,
Well Bob Bishop was very well known to us on this Website and was a regular contributor. He was instrumental in me starting my research and pointed me in the right directions and was generous with his advice and his first hand knowledge.
By great fortune, I got to meet Bob and had the honour and privilege of spending a very enjoyable evening with him and his wife, in Scotland, in November 2008. Tragically, Bob passed away on his way back home to Canada a couple of days later...

I have been in contact with his widow regarding your post and she has given me her blessing to make contact with you on her behalf.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Crockett
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hey Nick,

Mrs. Bishop has since contacted me and has joined our group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/202324857019969) I appreciate your getting in touch with her and letting her know that I contacted you. Did you know that Lt. Bishop was am member of the 2nd Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion, USMC? 2nd Recon also had an Israeli Commando by the name of William "Bill" Shapiro. These were a tough bunch. My dad was in 2nd Recon and doing well at 88. I hope to learn more about Lt. Bishop and what he did in No. 2 Commando as well as in 2nd Recon. Do you know if he went on to Korea? I didn't notice, to my knowledge, any pictures of Lt. Bishop, but would be grateful for any that can be shared for our 2nd Recon site.

Thanks again,

Joe Mode
Knoxville, Tennessee
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger