commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Possibly a Commando ?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Panther
Forum Member

Hello, We have a family member who may or may not have served as a Commando ?
We have a digital photo so cannot enhance it, do not know the date taken either
we know he served in Iceland
we know nothing more
Applying for service records requires us to apply either Army or Navy/Marines - we accept we may have to apply twice !

the photo shows him wearing white belt

Alexander Smart Wylie
Birth 11 JUN 1914 Crianlarich, Perthshire, Scotland
Death 19 JAN 1970 Dalmally, Argyll, Scotland

Thanks
[Thumb - thumbnail_image0.jpg]
 Filename thumbnail_image0.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  207 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Panther,

You mention that he served in Iceland - this would indicate that he was probably a Royal Marine as it was RMs who carried out the invasion and occupation of Iceland (Operation Fork) in May 1940.

However the photo was taken after the summer of 1943 as they are wearing berets - which weren't issued until the summer of 1943. [RMs - July 1943, navy blue berets; RM Cdos - August 1943, green berets].
The shade of the berets in the photos tells me that these are not navy blue berets and quite likely to be green.
The blue berets worn by RMs were worn with a red tombstone shaped piece of cloth behind the cap badge - there is no indication of this on the photo so I would suggest probably RM Cdos.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/03/2021 12:11:32

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Panther
Forum Member

Thank you Nick, thats very Interesting to learn, much appreciated
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

2nd Battalion Royal Marines were in Iceland in 1940. At the end of July and beginning of August 1943 they were disbanded and formed the nucleus of the new 43RM Commando, although not all went onto become Commandos for a number of reasons. 43RM Commando served primarily in the Central Mediterranean theatre of war. The above of course is not confirmation he served in this unit. Hopefully the Service Record will show for sure with whom he served but you may wish to contact the Royal Marines Association to see if they have any record of him ever joining their Association post war. You can contact them here
Tel: 023 9387 4661
Email: [email protected]

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Panther
Forum Member

Thanks Pete,
I have just emailed the Association in case they know anything post war, thanks for the help
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Looks very much like a blacked out Bakelite cap badge - Globe and Laurel, the guy behind with a staybrite or brass RM capbadge. Good photo.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Panther
Forum Member

Hello Craig, Thank you for the comments on the photo,

we have only in the last 10 days or so, found out that he his one of our family,
also the first time we have seen the photo,

Although up to earlier this month we had never heard of him before (or seen the photo) we are obviously very proud to know he served his Country and I will be applying for his service records to (hopefully) learn more about him.

Some of our family are also planning a trip to Scotland to visit his grave and to meet other (new to us) family members.

we welcome any Informaton on both Alexander, possible units and locatons he might have served in, we did not know that we had occupied Iceland and the Faroes until now, one of the family asked about the white belt ???

until we recieve the service records I guess we will not know what medals he was entitled to ? Indeed if claimed - what happened to them ?
he married after the war, had one son who died without marrying (as far as we know), his wife also passed on.
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Do you have a service number
Panther
Forum Member

just name and photo, told he was in Army and served in Iceland, if the cap badge had not been recognised i would have been applying for non existant Army records
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ok mate.

Once you get any info post it and there?s a mountain of info on this site with the researchers that can help.
Panther
Forum Member

Hi Craig,
Service records request sent off today, not sure how long it takes ?
I will definitely post the results here,
i am hoping that someone will help me understand the records - especially Military terms and language.
Phil Boot
Forum Member

Hi mate

The records could take quite a few months to arrive due to covid so you need to be patient.
You do get a booklet with the abbreviations explained,also there are a few people on this website who will help
With the decoding if needed.
Good luck the wait will be worth it.
You may also want to enquire if your relation was awarded any medals ?

Regards

Phil.
[Email]
Panther
Forum Member

Morning Phil,

Did wonder about covid delaying records been sent back,
my family has waited 75 years to discover Aexander Wylie so guess a few more weeks will not be a problem.

Regarding medals ? is that not included with the service records ?
i am sure someone here will point me in the right direction,
i have recieved a lot of interesting information in the last few days on this forum - much appreciated everyone.
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yes. A medal index card should be included.
Panther
Forum Member

Cheers Craig,
looking forwarding to learning as much as possible about Alexander and his Unit(s) places served and more

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger