commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for information on ALBERT ABBOTTS  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Charlotteabbotts
Forum Member

Hello everyone!

I do hope you are all incredibly well.
I?m hoping hoping for a miracle and asking a great favour I that you may be able to put me on the right track. I?m searching records everywhere and paying subscriptions to try and find my darling granddad. ALBERT ABBOTTS Born 1925 and died 1994. Born and raised and passed in Stoke on Trent
I believe he was a 42 royal commando. This may be wrong as my dad is a little mixed on numbers , But he trained in Plymouth or near.
He fought in the battle of Anzio, my father thinks Africa also.
I can?t find his service number and it?s driving me mad. We have two of his medals and missing two. Which I believe grandad misplaced himself.
I would just like his service number so I can send of for records.
How would I find this. Thank you for your time.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Charlotte,

Stop paying subscriptions to commercial online genealogy sites such as Forces War Records etc!

They do not have your granddad's service records!
The only custodian for WWII service records - by Law - is the MoD.
The good news is that you can apply to the MoD for a scan of his original, handwritten record - and you do NOT need his service number to do this!

You will need:
1. EITHER his Service Number OR his Date of Birth
2. A Death Certificate (available from Gov.UK website if you don't have one).
3. A one off fee of £30. (However, if your grandmother is still with us and is able to sign a Next of Kin form the MoD will waive the fee.)
4. Two forms, completed as fully as possible. (links below)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/913064/NOK_request_service_details.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/869589/rnrm_application_part2_final.pdf

The commercial online genealogy sites lure you in with their dubious and misleading claims but the only information they have, is the information which you enter when you start to conduct a search on their website!
They will then feed you back the information you've given them to lure you in! You then subscribe and they'll tell you that they don't have any matches!

In the meantime, did your granddad have any other names? Initials will do!

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/02/2021 13:26:02

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger