commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Grandfarthers Commando History  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
History42
Forum Member

Hi

I am trying to track down as much information as I can on my Grandfather ( He passed away in 1968 & no one in the family knows much about his war time, Which he kept mostly quite)

I have his Army records which don't have a lot of information ( Non relating to his Commando Period) All I have is a photo of him in his Commando uniform ( Patch docent have what unit he was in ) He was injured around the the time of Dday and then discharged .

Details I have is Norman Christopher Read- Army Number 14219472 ( KRRC ) .

Any hints on how to track more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 Filename Safari - 9 Apr 2018 at 21:15.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description Norman about 1943
 Filesize 64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  201 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/01/2021 10:18:00

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

I've had a look for your grandfather Norman Read in the Commando Nominal Rolls and couldn't find him - but that does not mean that he wasn't in the Commandos.
The Commandos were a irregular formation and were made up of individual volunteers, on temporary loan, from all the regiments in the British Army...
As they were still on their parent regiment's payroll and nominal roll, there was no definitive nominal roll for The Commandos. Each Commando Unit had a list of personnel but no definitive records has been found.
The Nominal Rolls on this Website were recently compiled, in the main by me and Graham Cooper with a few names being sent in by other members...

You say you have your grandfather's Army Records? What form are these in? Are they loose handwritten foolscap sheets or typed A4 sheets or a small booklet?

Your photo does throw up a couple of questions - not least because he is wearing an open neck Battledress Blouse and shirt & tie.

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/01/2021 15:01:30

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
History42
Forum Member

Hi

Thanks for your help it is appreciated , His records that I have had for a few years and they are photo copies of his full records ( Hand written ) His asstestation paper work and some other paper work ( All hand written).

I know he was a cadet from 16 & joined up at 18 , He entered into the KRRC on 16/07/1942 & discharged under (Para 3 KR 1940 ) due to a 40% foot injury on 12/03/1945 ( This apparently played up for the remainder of his life ( My father was only 19 when he passed away so details have always been limited ) .

The only story he told my father was that he went to france once during the war and then just ended the conversation & that he was as you said Army Commando on the units payroll .

Im not to sure with the photo I know he was about 20 in the photo ( I do know from the limited stores my grandmother used to say that he had some thing about always wearing a tie ) And literally in any other photo I have of him he has one on )

Cheers
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi, did you want to email me a scan of the records and I can have a look on the off chance you've missed a clue?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
History42
Forum Member

Thanks mate appreciated

I just emailed you the records and some limited information I have.

Regards

Aaron

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger