commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
SBS/ Commando HQ WWII W. Sussex Seaford College  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Vectis
Forum Member

I hope you might be able to help me. I have been unable to contact the Petworth Historical Society.
I am researching the WWII career of my father Captain Joe Colin Pagnam. He was a member of the SBS 2.
I have information about his active service, but not his clerical duties later in the War.
Recently, I was contacted by someone who found a letter addressed to my father below the floorboards of the Old School House, Duncton.
They told me the house in 1944 was an HQ for the "Special Services".
I do see that the Commandos had a connection to the locality Lavington Park, but I have been unable to find specific information on the Old School House.
Does anyone have knowledge about the role of the Old School House? I would greatly appreciate it.

I have copied below text from a post by Nick that partially answers my request. However, it does not make mention of the Old School House.
I wondering if my father was based at the Seaford College and billeted at the Old School House.

From Nick:
Looking through some old copies of the Commando Association Newsletter recently, I came across mention of Lavington Park near Petworth, Sussex. These days it is the home of Seaford College
Lavington Park served as HQ Commando Group from April 1944 until Spring 1946 and, to commemorate its association with the Commandos, a Commemorative Plaque was commissioned and placed in the Seaford College Chapel (previously Woolavington Church) in 1988.
The dedication took place during a service in the Chapel on 27 November 1988

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/01/2021 17:31:45

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi, I have replied to your email to me,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger