commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Harry Lumm No2 and Eric+Stanley Buckmaster+Jack Payne post war boxing success  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Harry Lumm of 4 Troop No 2 is also remembered by Eric. Roy Evans, who is Harrys nephew, had asked me to remember Harry to him, Eric replies
" I can Remember Harry Lumm quite well. He was the Unit Heavy Weight Boxer, though he was not in 5 Troop and I cannot remember which Troop he was in. Jack Payne was the Light Heavy Weight as it was expressed in those Days."

Harry was in 4 Troop. After the war Eric and his brother Stanley started boxing. Here he mentions about that:

" After the War Jack Payne, my Brother Stanley & I all enlisted in the London (TA) 10th Battalion Parachute Regiment. We were in number 3 Company, Based at Dagenham Essex. Jack Payne persuaded us to make up a Company Boxing Team, and we won the Inter Company Trophy, 5 years running, so they gave it to us and set up another Trophy."

Tough bunch those Commandos

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 15/02/2009 18:20:54

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Roy Evans
Forum Member

Hi,

Amazing stuff. Actually Harry was a middle weight (10stone to 10stone 8 oz division).

In Italy during the war they used to put on exhibition matches to entertain the troops. Years ago I saw a poster with Harry verses (i think) someone from another command. Top of the bill was the former World Heavyweight Champion Joe Louis - "The Brown Bomber". I wonder if any of the guys remember seeing those matches.

Another famous boxing story was up in Aye in the early years.

The local Army Division challenged Number 2 to a boxing tournament.
Lt Col Charles Newman put up a team, and when the evening commenced and the local Garrison Commander and his entourage arrived, all the regular solders stood up. When Col. Newman arrived, the commando on mass stood and sang "Clap hands here comes Charlie". Col Newman had a great grin on his face, which I imagine was even bigger at the end of the evening. The score Commando 10 - Army 0.

Happy days, Roy.

Cheers, Roy.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger