commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
PX105984 Donald V. Onyons - researching  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Derek Hill
Forum Member

Hi all, I first joined the forum back in 2012 whilst researching the above, my father, but hit a wall and just never got anywhere. Plus back then I was PC illiterate for sure (not much better now lol).
Now a young relative has contacted me asking about his grandads war service so it's galvanised me to do more research. I forgot I had registered before until I registered again a few days ago and came across a couple of old PM's.

I really don't know where to start so this seems the most logical place. From family stories all we know is that he joined the RN in August 1940 when he turned 16 lying about his age. Did his basic training and Fleet Air Arm Aircraft Mechanic training in just a few weeks at HMS Daedalus (RNAS Lee On Solent). Then joined the Royal Marines and trained at Achnacarry before it was the properly established Commando Training Centre. He served with 3 Commando; 6 Commando; 3rd SS Brigade most likely in 42 RM Commandos but I think he must also have seen action with 41 RM Commando in Salerno and 44 RM Commando doing coastal assaults in Burma. Believed to have been badly wounded during Battle of Hill170.

On leaving hospital in Trincomalee he joined FAA again and served on HMS Illustrious in TF57 when it was hit by Kamikaze. How is that possible, RM to FAA again?
He took part in two raids on Norway, possibly Operation Kitbag, he said he was on a submarine and hated it but nothing happened? and Operation Archery; Operation Chariot, Operation Flodden (part of Jubilee I think), served in North Africa with 8th Army from second battle of El Alamein, Operation Avalanche (Salerno landings, possibly from HMS Rodney?), then bizarrely took part if a transatlantic convoy on HMS Biter with 811 Squadron as an aircraft mechanic, how? Then re-joined Royal Marines and went to India, Ceylon then Burma but after 3rd Commando Brigade has already left the UK, so no idea how he caught them up.
He says he took part in VJ celebrations in Colombo, Ceylon and took lots of photos of the local festivities which I have. In fact I have a number of photo's he took during the war, including when he met George Formby and his wife in the Far East as part of ENSA.

Through very extensive research online I have been able to associate his brief anecdotes to historical events but unfortunately I have no official documentation on his service. I have a very brief record from the Royal Navy who have him enlisting when he was over 18, more than two years after he said he joined up. I tried RM and Army records too but they never replied.
I know he was a member of the then Commando Association up to 1979 because I saw a letter from them inviting him to Lord Mountbatten's funeral and offering to send a car to pick him up, but past enquiries with them led to no record of him. I think I know why but I wont go into that here.
So, I don't expect miracles, but if anyone has any information where his name may have cropped up on anything in the past, I'd love to hear from you.
I would also like to post some photo's which may be helpful to others but have yet to figure that out.

Derek Hill
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Derek.

An interesting career. You need to post the photos and re- apply for his service records. I?m sure Pete or Nic on here could help.
Few points. 3 & 6 commando were in the 1st commando brigade for D day I believe they were also in Italy or Sicily before the D day build up.

Post what info you have as badges or ribbons can help identify theatres of war and units.

Do you have a service number?

Get as much info and I?m sure you can start to build up a picture.

Regards. Craig.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

deleted and reposted below

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 28/12/2020 10:51:23

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Derek
I have seen your earlier messages and the advice given at that time. Where we have no information the only place we can refer people to is the official Service Record which you appear to have done. I am assuming you made clear on your application that you believed he served in different branches of Service. If this was done within the last few years then a Victualling Record check should have been done by the MOD for his Royal Marines service. You could try phoning the number on the link below which has access to Victualling Records to confirm it was done. I am uncertain as to whether current restrictions for Covid still make this possible to do over the phone. What service/registry numbers came back on the record that you received.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Derek Hill
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Service number is in the subject line.
I?ve persuaded my mother (his widow) to sign the application for request for service information to the Royal Marines. The last one was way back in 2004 so fingers crossed.
I?ll put some photos up when I get time, hopefully the weekend.
I have his combined operations badge, the RN version of gold on dark blue, and some of his photos from that time but sadly nothing else.
(Why does the forum system change an apostrophe to a question Mark?)

Derek Hill
[Email]
Derek Hill
Forum Member

Here are the first three photo's of Don.
[Thumb - 0008b.jpg]
 Filename 0008b.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description PX105984 D V Onyons
 Filesize 175 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  155 time(s)

[Thumb - 0005.jpg]
 Filename 0005.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Date location unknown. Don is front row, 2nd from left.
 Filesize 217 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  164 time(s)

[Thumb - 0121c_Christmas Greetings.jpg]
 Filename 0121c_Christmas Greetings.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description PX105984 D V Onyons
 Filesize 263 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  161 time(s)

Derek Hill
[Email]
Derek Hill
Forum Member

The only two informal photo's I have of him in the Far East. Dates and locations unknown.
[Thumb - 0038.jpg]
 Filename 0038.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Don is centre, front row.
 Filesize 217 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  160 time(s)

[Thumb - 0047.jpg]
 Filename 0047.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Don is centre behind.
 Filesize 198 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  152 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/01/2021 13:26:08

Derek Hill
[Email]
Derek Hill
Forum Member

I believe Don took these photo's. One is helpfully labelled but shows no date. I have no info on the group photo. The original is heavily over-exposed. It is possibly in Colombo around VJ Day.
If anyone can supply information on the group photo (or the other one) I'd love to hear more.
[Thumb - 0034.jpg]
 Filename 0034.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Royal Marines, date and location unknown.
 Filesize 257 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  149 time(s)

[Thumb - 0035b.jpg]
 Filename 0035b.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description "Ken, John & Bill, RM Barracks, Gibraltar"
 Filesize 274 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  144 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/01/2021 15:58:44

Derek Hill
[Email]
Delboy28
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just realised the email link attached to my profile in the original posts is incorrect and the system wont let me change it.
The email link in this post is the correct one.

Derek Hill
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Derek
I have updated your email address on your original profile. The number you posted for your Father is a Royal Navy official number (later called service number). The photos are interesting in that there are quite a mix. Not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2 with many serving as Royal Marines on board Royal Navy ships so this could be the connection with the Royal Marines. Additionally with Combined Operations in existence many of the services operated in support of each other during many of the major seaborne landings in WW2. Certainly his uniform in the one dated May 1944 is Royal Navy. However the RN also had RN Commandos. The new application for his complete official record is the right way forward.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/01/2021 14:31:01

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Can you post a photo of his Combined Operations badge that you mentioned.

[Email]
Derek Hill
Forum Member

Pete wrote:Hi Derek
I have updated your email address on your original profile. The number you posted for your Father is a Royal Navy official number (later called service number). The photos are interesting in that there are quite a mix. Not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2 with many serving as Royal Marines on board Royal Navy ships so this could be the connection with the Royal Marines. Additionally with Combined Operations in existence many of the services operated in support of each other during many of the major seaborne landings in WW2. Certainly his uniform in the one dated May 1944 is Royal Navy. However the RN also had RN Commandos. The new application for his complete official record is the right way forward.

That's true, the P stands for Royal Marines. After he transferred he went straight to do his Commando training at Achnacarry before it was formally the CBTC. I know his parent service was always the RN, but clearly he was posted to various units throughout his service, quite common I have read.
He always said his home port was Portsmouth so its possible his number was PO/X105984, but he never mentioned the O. I have just reapplied for his service record but only put PX..., not PO/X... Do you think they'll search for both or do I need to be specific?
The badge photo should appear below, ignore the red background.
[Thumb - CombinedOpsBadge.jpg]
 Filename CombinedOpsBadge.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description RN Combined Operations Badge
 Filesize 302 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  146 time(s)

Derek Hill
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The P does not in itself stand for Royal Marines. The prefixes PO, PLY, CH, and EX do but as with the RN and RM numbers they have changed over the years. Here is some useful information about such numbers:

Royal Navy numbers
http://www.godfreydykes.info/ROYAL%20NAVY%20OFFICIAL%20NUMBERS%20%5BRATINGS%5D.htm

Royal Marines numbers
https://www.rmhistorical.com/images/RM%20Register%20Numbers.pdf

Was the number should be on the correspondence you received in your first application?

[Email]
Derek Hill
Forum Member

Yes I?ve read those, but I also read a lot of info on service numbers on the Royal Navy History Archive site which states quite clearly that in those years the P was most definitely the prefix given to Royal Marine other ranks. I think it stated N denoted RM officers.
I?ll try and find the link and post it.

Derek Hill
[Email]
Derek Hill
Forum Member

Typically I can?t find the article in the Royal Navy Research Archive but I did come across this on Wikipedia. It is exactly the same text which suggests one site borrowed it from the other. The actual RNRA article though also stated that F = Fleet Air Arm, which my father initially enlisted with, doing both his basic training and aircraft mechanic training at RNAS Lee On Solent (HMS Daedalus).
His original service number was F105984. He told me when he joined the commandos, all that changed was the first letter, from an F to a P. The information I found with the RNRA certainly supports what he told me. He also told me recruits for hazardous service were actively being sought from the Royal Navy, especially the FAA, and that appealed to him so he asked to transfer and was accepted straight away.

From what I have read during extensive research, it would seem he became a Commando qualified Royal Marine, as opposed to a Royal Marines Commando as I believe they did not yet exist.

Don said he served with 6 & 3 Commando. I believe his first operation was called Kitbag and he was conveyed by submarine. He said it was uneventful which supports what actually took place, or rather didn?t.
I think he was then on Operation Archery with either 3 or 6 Commando. He told me a lot of Commandos were killed and injured on his raid so that in itself points to it having been Archery, as others of the time were successful and without loss.
Sorry, I?ve gone off on a tangent now. Here?s the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_number#United_Kingdom

Quote: In the Royal Navy, prior to the introduction of JPA, service numbers were also of eight digits but began and ended with a letter, depending initially on the depot where the sailor was recruited. The first letter designators were: P (Portsmouth), C (Chatham), and D (Devonport), with the final letter being a meaningless checksum.[clarification needed] Later, the designators were reassigned and were used to distinguish between men and women within the Royal Navy as well as to distinguish between Officers and Ratings. A service number beginning with D designated a Royal Navy male Rating, W a Royal Navy female Rating, C male Officers, and V female Officers. P designated a Royal Marines Other Rank, while N a Royal Marine Officer. Following the introduction of JPA, all newly issued Royal Navy service numbers became an eight-digit number format beginning with 3, with no distinction made between male, female, Ratings, Officers, and Royal Marines.

Derek Hill
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger