commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Vitold (Andre) Barylo - No. 9 commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
rbarylo
Forum Member

Hi, I'm trying to find out more info about my dad who was a commando in WW2. He emigrated to Canada in 1948 and passed away in 1987. He was born in 1923. He was army and I think he told me he was a corporal. He didn't like talking about the war, but I know that he fought at Monte Cassino. I looked at photos in the gallery for No 9 commando, since archives here said only No 9 and No 10 commando (army) units fought in that battle. I believe he is in the far left in the second row in this picture believed to be of 5 troop:
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/9+cdo+trp.jpg Does anyone recognize his name? I am also applying to get his service records but that could take some time especially with Covid. I'm also not sure if an application from Canada for these records from MOD would even be accepted. Any help would be appreciated!

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 06/01/2021 21:21:19

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Your application for a copy of his Service Record will be processed but I imagine between Covid and Xmas and with the new current lockdown that it could take time. It used to on occasions before all this but is often worth the wait. Have you found his service number ? Do you have any photos of your Father in uniform?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
rbarylo
Forum Member

Thanks for your reply Pete! I don't have any of the pictures of him in uniform, but my sister does. I asked her for them. My dad had the uniform with the wide white belt(and I've seen it), but unfortunately it disappeared sometime after his death. I do not have his service number. I'm gathering the required documents from the government here and I will be mailing my application to MoD soon. I will post info here when I get a response from them.

Ray Barylo

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger