commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Royal Marines Ex 1085 service number  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
sqlartist
Forum Member

My grandfather David J Dwyer served as a Royal Marine in World War II. He was a Royal Marine Commando (??) and Marksman. He was stationed in Egypt, Ceylon (Sri Lanka), and North Africa.

His full name was David John Dwyer but always referred to as (Jack).

I have many photos of him in different locations around the world and in various uniforms. Locations that I can confirm are Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and Egypt. The reason I can confirm is one has a signpost with directions to the major tea processing in Ceylon, the other is due to the Pyramids and him sitting on the Sphinx.

The uniforms are probably identifiable if you know what to look for (I have tried but had no luck) but strangely there is no markings or badges or even dog tags in any of the pictures.
He received medals but no one knows what they were and have been lost since the 1960's. He died in 1987.
I have some wonderful photos and have the ones most likely to be helpful in identifying where he was, what regiment he may have been in and also the people with him.

Is there anyone here that could help with the EX service number and to find out any more information. There is no one left to ask.

Best regards

Trevor Dwyer
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Trev

Get the photos and any documents on this thread. I believe the service number is Exmouth related as in it comes from the Royal marine depot Lympstone, I may be wrong.

There?s lots of photos on the imperial war museum web site of marines in Ceylon.

There?s lots of knowledge on here, get the info up and I?m sure you will get answers.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
sqlartist
Forum Member

thank you - will do
sqlartist
Forum Member

sqlartist
Forum Member

sorry if i have not done it correctly
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

EX = Exton Division.

Major Alastair Donald RM wrote a very good explanation about Royal Marines Register Numbers which are more than often referred to as service numbers. It can be read here:

https://www.rmhistorical.com/images/RM%20Register%20Numbers.pdf

Unlike today not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2. The best place to start your research is by making an application for a copy of his Service Record.

Here is how to do so:http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/12/2020 16:05:07

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger