commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sergent Edmund Spencer Quickenden No. 6 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Clive Quickenden
Forum Member

Hi,

My father is listed on this site and it shows he was awarded the BEM. I managed to obtain his records but can find nothing in their. I have searched all over but nothing. I wonder if anybody can put me in the right direction?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/6CommandoNomRollP-Z

Many Thanks
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Clive,

The source of our information regarding your father's BEM was one of the Commando Association's Newsletters - Issue 103, September 1996.
The information was from the Obituary Column in the Newsletter - see below...

Nick
[Thumb - quickenden.jpg]
 Filename quickenden.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  167 time(s)

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Clive Quickenden
Forum Member

So how can I find out about the BEM and why awarded?

I cannot see it in his records, although there are lots of abbreviations.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/12/2020 16:25:28

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Clive

The B.E.M. is awarded for meritorious civil or military service so if it was the former then it would not be on the record if awarded later. I personally cannot find any entry in the London Gazette for the award but that relies on the online search facility of the London Gazette (those where I do are entered in the Honours and Awards section of this online archive). The entry of the award against his name could have been made in error in the Commando Association newsletter but we cannot assume that so basically at this stage we, like yourself, no know more. The National Archives have an advice which can be viewed here:
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/civilian-gallantry-medals/

If you have a photo of your Father that you would like included please either attach it in any reply here, or if you have any difficulty just email me a copy using the email link just below. I will then add it to the No.6 Commando gallery. If you care to include his service number, regiment from which attached to the Commandos, and dates and places of birth and death I will also include that.

The Ministry of Defence have a Medals Office. Not sure if this number is still valid but worth a try.
Mod Medal Office
Phone:0800 085 3600

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/12/2020 12:32:30

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger