commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
"B2" type Commando Knife belonging to Hugh Maines of No1 Commando.  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Weapons and Equipment
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
Here are a couple of shots of my father's Commando knife, with a close up view of the underside of the blade guard clearly showing the "Crows foot and B2" stamped mark.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - Im2-Hugh Maines' Commando Knife-Crows foot & B2 mark stamped on underside of guard..JPG]
 Filename Im2-Hugh Maines' Commando Knife-Crows foot & B2 mark stamped on underside of guard..JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 364 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  947 time(s)

[Thumb - Im1-Hugh Maines' Commando Knife..JPG]
 Filename Im1-Hugh Maines' Commando Knife..JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1262 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Anonymous

Hi Hugh
A very nice example hang onto it.

John M
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That`s a lovely 2nd pattern there.

B2 designates a Birmingham Inspectorate mark. Nice example and even moreso that it was your father`s.

A rare piece of history.

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I know how lucky I am to still have my father's knife, unfortunately I don't know what happened to the scabbard. I think when my father was demobbed from the Commandos, he left all of his stuff at his parents house and some of it went missing ie scabbard, beret etc. Even more annoyingly for me one of his younger brothers decided to mount the knife on the wall, however he decided the best way to do this was to drill and tap two holes in to the handle. The idea of damaging any historical artefact fills me with absolute abhorrence, especially as it something so personal and precious to myself. What makes it even worse is that the two holes are not in line and are off centre, having said that I have to admit that I have found an old imperial screw and have used one of the holes as a means of mounting the knife in a frame as part of a group of four additional frames containing my father's other Commando artefacts. I will be posting images of this display in the memorabilia section once I have finished remounting the knife. Although utalising one of the these holes has proved to be a very elegant method of mounting the knife, in that the knife seems to float magically in the frame with no obvious means of visible support, I would rather they had never been drilled. Still it could have been worse he could have drilled through the blade tang that runs through the handle!

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - Im4-Hugh Maines' Commando Knife showing holes in drilled in to handle..JPG]
 Filename Im4-Hugh Maines' Commando Knife showing holes in drilled in to handle..JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 979 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  905 time(s)

silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

what a fantastic thing to have of your dads though ...glad it found its rightful home in the end ...

it could of been worse i remember my mom throwing the Japanese sword my dads kukri knife and scabbard out as she caught us playing with them in the street....lol

thanks for the pictures

Steve Silvester
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

My father aso had a a Japanese officers sword, I think acquired after the battle of Hill 170, the owner of the weapon actually managed to breach the Commando lines and was about to demonstrate its sharpness to my father, when somebody shot him. I am not sure if it was my father who did this or one of his comrades, any way after the battle my dad grabbed the sword. Unfortunately this and a German telescopic gun metal cosh (acquired in North Africa) went missing on one of my parents many house moves overseas in the 1950's during my dads service with the RWF (his parent Regiment).
I intend to eventually donate my father's Commando artefacts to either the Commando museum in Spean Bridge or to his parent Regiments museum in Caernarfon Castle.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/02/2009 23:08:51

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

He drilled thru the handle! Give him a slap from all of us ! As a kid I remember all sorts of souvenirs my dad brought back . Necklaces from dead Japs ,,a belt covered in army badges ,,all lost in time even one of my dad combined ops patches ,,arraghh

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Commando
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andy,
Personal items are the most treasured.

Another B2 example, I have no history but it's in good condition.

Regards
Scott
[Thumb - IMG_3451.JPG]
 Filename IMG_3451.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  839 time(s)

Commando
Forum Member
[Avatar]

B2.
[Thumb - IMG_3455.JPG]
 Filename IMG_3455.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  832 time(s)

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Scott

Yes that certainly is a nice example, you've also got the scabbard, unfortunately I don't have my father's scabbard, I think it went missing when he left his Commando stuff at his parents house just after the war when he re-enlisted with his parent regiment.
Where did you obtain yours, I know original knives can sell for quite a lot of money, has it got the Crows foot B2 mark on the underside of the guard?

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Commando
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andy,

That's a shame a great many items. have been down the "chute" so to speak over the years & will continue to do so.
It came from a friend of mine, yes it has the marking however only part of it which is quite normal.

I'm sure your aware these are 2nd pattern daggers and yes can sell for good money say £250 - £350 depending on condition/history.

Regards
Scott
[Thumb - IMG_3449.JPG]
 Filename IMG_3449.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  904 time(s)

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

As I have previously written in the above message I have not got the sheath for my father's Commando knife. Consequently I was recently contacted by Ron Lain (Hockmalain) of this site who very generously offered to give me one of his original sheaths. To say that I am deeply moved by his kind offer, would be an understatement in the extreme, especially as he would not take any payment. However in lieu of this, and to show my deep gratitude, I will make a donation to the CVA, again many thanks Ron for your extremely kind gift.

I have temporarily removed my dads knife from its display frame and have taken some photos of both knife and sheath together. I have now bought a picture frame and intend to mount the sheath and include it with the six other frames that I have put together to display my father's Commando artefacts.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - IMGP0565.JPG]
 Filename IMGP0565.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1600 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  29242 time(s)

[Thumb - IMGP0560.JPG]
 Filename IMGP0560.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1844 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  29273 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/08/2009 21:31:45

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
harribobs
Forum Member

hi

excuse the late reply to this thread, but just a word of warning about leaving blades in sheathes , they can be quite often damp and can easily permanently damage the blade

Oil the blade before you put it in and check it often!

I had a couple of FS knives but now have a nice collection of Japanese WW2 swords

cheers

chris

?It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
to serve as a warning to others."
[WWW]
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It is assumed that B2 stamped knifes were produced by BSA see page 75 of Robert Latam-Wilkinson excellent book.

Attached is a 1st pattern attributed to Ron Muddimer of 30AU that i won in an auction and was sold by his son.

Macdonald wrote:
That`s a lovely 2nd pattern there.

B2 designates a Birmingham Inspectorate mark. Nice example and even moreso that it was your father`s.

A rare piece of history.
[Thumb - image.jpg]
 Filename image.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  29150 time(s)

[Thumb - image.jpg]
 Filename image.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 104 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  29138 time(s)

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Now then, those are fantastic knives.

Never thought I'd see the day when I'd covet anything, never mind a knife. :)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/08/2013 09:56:07

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Weapons and Equipment
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger