commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Ten Commando 3 troop  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
[email protected]
Forum Member

Looking for any information regarding my uncle private Ernst Nathan/Ernest Norton who was killed in action June 13, 1944.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

From the CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) records

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2343447/ERNST%20NATHAN/
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi there

The entry below is our Roll of Honour page for your Uncle:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ErnstNathan10Commando

Do you have a photo of your Uncle that we could add to that entry? Without knowing what you, or your family, may already have about him can you advise me what exactly is it that you are looking for?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
[email protected]
Forum Member

We don't have a photo of my late Uncle Ernest Norton. We were thrilled to see him in the group photo of the 10 Commando 3 Troop unit. We ( all of the nieces and nephews) were told that our Uncle Ernest was a pilot in the Royal Air Force and that he was shot down over Normandy. That was all the information we had about him. Now that I have learned that he was in the 10 Commando 3 Troop, I wonder if that information is correct. I am wondering how he died and where.
Thank you very much,
Debbie Nathan Hamlin
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The information we have is based on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) record and the British Army Casualty Records. You will see on the CWGC record on the link previously posted above that it has some family details:

Additional Info
(Served as Ernest NORTON). Son of Moritz and Sibilla Nathan.
Personal Inscription
WITH DEEPEST LOVE NEVER FORGETTING YOU. HILDE, WALTER AND BENNO FROM U.S.A.

On that CWGC record there are also the original grave registration, grave concentration, and headstone files which can be viewed. From those you will see that his original burial was at a place called Sallenelles in Normandy, and he was reburied at Ranville War Cemetery on the 7th August 1945.

Commandos involved in heavy fighting with the enemy in the area of Sallenelles.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger