commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Grave not listed Kranji war cemetery singapore  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
bethanywine
Forum Member

RM 17368 Edward McCrae Died 13th April 1964 I cannot find his grave listed in Kranji War Cemetery yet I am certain I visited his grave in 1970 on behalf of his family. I met his family in Belfast on my return home from living in Singapore in 1971. I know his body was moved from another cemetery in Singapore to Kranji but I am puzzled as to why there is no record on CWGC site of his grave. I would appreciate any contact with his sister or any member of his family.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The CWGC records contain the names of all 1.7 million Commonwealth men and women that died in the two world wars. They do not contain those who died in later conflicts. However you can search the Armed Forces Memorial Roll of Honour here: http://veterans.mod.uk/

Our record for Marine Edward McCrea is here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/EdwardMcCrea42Commando

As you say some were reinterred from their original graves and reburied or cremated. I personally have no specifics about Marine McCrea.

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2010/230/CEM46617359_128222278797.jpg

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have now updated the entry above for Marine McCrea.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
bethanywine
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Pete. I note the information on Edward was given by his nephew. Could this be the son of his sister who I met in 1971? Would there be any possibility of contacting him? It is a mystery because other RM's killed in the Indonesian confrontation who are buried in Kranji are listed on the site. How I know of him is quite a story. I was living in Singapore in 1970. I was contacted by a letter from his sister ( from Belfast ) then a young girl ( won't go into how she found me its complicated ) She told me her brother had been killed in Indonesia, was buried in Singapore but quite shockingly they had no idea where. She asked for my help. We eventually found his grave after visiting the wrong cemetery and thankfully one of the workers there was able to tell us he had been moved to Kranji. We found him and took flowers, photographs to send to his family - long before the days of mobile phones, actual photos sent in air mail envelopes!. When we left Singapore in 1971 I met his family. I later contacted RM told them the story and heard soon after from his sister that she and his mother were being flown out to Singapore to pay a visit to his grave. It was their turn to send me photos. We kept in touch for a while but years pass . I have thought about him every remembrance Sunday ever since. One of the best things I did in my life.
bethanywine
Forum Member

I have just read your update. How wonderful. He was brought home. I am so very pleased. Next time I'm in Belfast I will visit the cemetery. I do wish I could contact his sister. He had a son - a baby when he died - a young boy when I met him in 1970. In case you wonder why I was so keen to help - my husband also fought in Indonesia with the Paras.
bethanywine
Forum Member

Where did you get that information Pete?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

From his nephew Adrian. If you email me (see email link below) I can put you in touch with the family.

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger