commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Photos  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I wondering if it would be a good idea or not for us all to pool our photos relating to WWII commandos.

The reason I ask is maybe it would attract more members especially descendants if they could see the amount of information which may be available.

If its a storage problem, tell me to shut up! )

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

That seems to be a great idea Stephen
Send it through to admin and see what he can do.
Regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Steve, as John says, Admin (or Danny) is in the process of updating the site to include a photo album for each Commando in the history pages. He may be able to add a misc photo page also. Can't wait!!!

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for the update.

While I am on a roll! A while ago I was on a reunion with some navy oppos in Weymouth. I noticed in the B&B a selection of historical reference books about WWII. One that caught my eye was 'Commando' I had a read of it and was astonished to find photos I had not come across before. The book series itself was obviously intended for the US market.
Anyway long story short; I understand it is unlikely that legally due to copyright, you can hold this material on site. However I do know the location of a 3.8mb PDf file. There are several interesting photos, including the mock graves and some of the first US Rangers to train at Achnacarry. If anyone contacts me regarding this I will quite happily pass on the information, free.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/06/2007 17:13:09

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
Admin
Forum Member

An updated photo gallery is on its way. The new version will allow members to upload and categorise their photos so that they can be grouped together in different combinations, e.g. by commando unit, or year of photograph etc. Just looking at the photos that have been uploaded to the forum already, I think it will make for interesting viewing.

Dan
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wonderful idea, can't wait for the photo gallery.

As well, would it be possible to set up another area where stories, information, memorials, tributes etc. could be posted. A place where we are not 'looking' for information, but have information that could and should be shared.

Just the glimmerings of an idea.

Bob & Janet
lushershouse
Forum Member

:-)morning Bob,what a superb idea i hope they agree to that suggestion,take care,Denise xx
jackie mcginnis-schulze
Forum Member

stephen read your b and b commando letter i'm in the us and my uncle trained at achnacarry please give me a heads up on this thanks.
as i mentioned there is a picture in the family . after my last aunt died my cousin should have everything but you know how that is . some people value and others feel its not necessary to keep anything. that particular part of the family seemed to throw everything to the winds.
jackie mcginnis=schulze

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger